PRF: What we know
Here's what we know about Platform Racing Forever so far:
- It will be scripted in JavaScript/HTML
- At least some user account data will transfer from PR2. We're unsure of the extent of this, as Jiggmin was a tad ambiguous when he announced it.
- PRF will be backwards compatible with PR2's existing levels.
- Arrow blocks will return, as well as all stamps and level backgrounds.
- The classic jump sound will be used (PR1/PR2).
- The game will be hosted on, at least, https://platformracing.com.

From commits on GitHub, we've learned that the game will*:
- Have cross-platform support (mobile/tablets, source)
- Utilize the Phaser 3 API for the game engine/mechanics (source)
- Will use the following art assets: some or [most likely] all PR2 LE elements (currently confirmed: items, drawn art, blocks, stamps, text via text tool, and backgrounds) and this character in some fashion
- Will be powered by Jiber, Jiggmin's new multiplayer server (source)
- Will have an option to play a level at random
- Art will be rendered with BigRender (source). More info here.
- Don't moves and legacy glitches will not be supported.

Here's what we can infer:
- All level settings from PR2 will return (to ensure that PR2 levels transfer properly). This would include gravity, time, game mode, music, etc.
- Level backgrounds will be editable

Here are things that were confirmed for PR4 Lightbreakers:
- Backgrounds would be loaded as a simple image file (jpg/bmp/png, etc)
- Some form of multiplayer level editing/collaboration would exist (see Capture the Overseer video below)
- Capture the Overseer mode would exist

Here's some speculation/guessing:
- The game will probably include Campaign/ATB/TB/Newest, as well as LotD functionality
- DotProgress (an AS3 -> HTML/JS ported version of PR2's loader) could be used as a loader
- The game could be hosted on Kartridge (Kong's Steam competitor) and be downloadable. Jiggmin has referenced this platform (pun intended) in private correspondences
- Jiggmin is reusing some of the code from "Platform Racing: Light Breakers" (as he forgot to change the name of the game on the title screen...)

This list is a work in progress, so feel free to post things I've missed or as they become known. There is a code repository for Jiggmin's progress on PRF on his GitHub page.

* = As of now, this is accepted as fact. If the code is altered to remove anything in this category, I'll fix it accordingly.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please donate to help keep JV Revival free for all.
Do we know if core modes are returning? i.e. Campaign, ATB, TB and Newest?
I'd think it's pretty safe to infer that Campaign and Newest would be mainstays, but for the Bests I can't be too sure.

Edit: Sharing my opinions on level backwards compatibility, well, as much as I want PRF to be as successful as PR2, I can't help but feel with PR2 level transferring over that we won't have as much variety as we should with a new game. I'm definitely not against the backwards compatibility at all, I just think that maybe we should strive to keep older levels out of the direct limelight? A new generation, in a way.
Is it backwards compatible with PR3?
(21st September 2018, 4:50 AM)gemj Wrote: Do we know if core modes are returning? i.e. Campaign, ATB, TB and Newest?
(21st September 2018, 5:59 AM)FlashRock Wrote: Is it backwards compatible with PR3?

We are unsure, this list we all we know for a FACT.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Eternal For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
"Plant Right 4" lmaooooo
нет
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to fliker2 For This Useful Post:
  • xGuest
(21st September 2018, 4:50 AM)gemj Wrote: Do we know if core modes are returning? i.e. Campaign, ATB, TB and Newest?
I'd think it's pretty safe to infer that Campaign and Newest would be mainstays, but for the Bests I can't be too sure.

Edit: Sharing my opinions on level backwards compatibility, well, as much as I want PRF to be as successful as PR2, I can't help but feel with PR2 level transferring over that we won't have as much variety as we should with a new game. I'm definitely not against the backwards compatibility at all, I just think that maybe we should strive to keep older levels out of the direct limelight? A new generation, in a way.

I would guess that at least Campaign and Newest will be returning, if not the bests. E and I speculate that PRF will basically be PR2 in a javascript/HTML shell instead of Actionscript, so I would guess that the bests will return as well. I'm also guessing there will be some type of Level of the Day functionality as well.

(21st September 2018, 5:59 AM)FlashRock Wrote: Is it backwards compatible with PR3?

I highly doubt it, since presumably, Jiggmin has no access to any original PR3 data. I don't see him taking third-party account data for one of his games.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please donate to help keep JV Revival free for all.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
is Jiggmin the only one that is working on PRF?
[Image: boomboomforalltid.gif?width=400&height=119]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to xGuest For This Useful Post:
  • fliker2
(21st September 2018, 9:25 AM)xGuest Wrote: is Jiggmin the only one that is working on PRF?
As far as we know right now, yes. That could change, however, we are unsure.
(21st September 2018, 8:34 AM)bls1999 Wrote: E and I speculate that PRF will basically be PR2 in a javascript/HTML shell instead of Actionscript

So as far as we know this is some kind of "PR2+", but perhaps not just a simple rewrite in HTML/JS.

What about some of the ideas showed in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROkfUrXlSI) video?
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bart172 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999, Eternal, fliker2, gemj, Pacha Kamaq, Stxtics, xGuest
i think this is what plant right 4 would look like (Not Platform Racing 4, it's Plant Right 4Wink )

sorry for the insanely large image and about the fact its made in scratch this project is dead anyways

нет
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fliker2 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, xGuest, ZXD
(22nd September 2018, 4:11 AM)bart172 Wrote: So as far as we know this is some kind of "PR2+", but perhaps not just a simple rewrite in HTML/JS.

What about some of the ideas showed in this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YROkfUrXlSI) video?

It's possible that the "Capture the Overseer" mode could find a new life in PRF, but I'm not sure. It sounds like an idea Jiggmin liked at the time, but he may have another vision for how he wants PRF to be 6 years later.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • bart172, Camer the Dragon, fliker2, gemj
The real bit of information is that Jiggy hasn't abandoned his ever faithful village Smile Smile Smile
[Image: YBe1Sjy.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lego-man945 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, xGuest
Will [email protected] still be involved?
I don't want to go too deep into that question at this stage, but there's something on my mind that could be problematic; if [email protected] is still relevant, will things change? As in, most of us will already have Crown and CB from transferring from PR2, but will there be anything new to fold for?
I kinda want the opinion of others on that; would you prefer having nothing to fold for or new things to fold for?
[email protected] Set :O
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Shane1334 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(22nd September 2018, 11:30 AM)fliker2 Wrote: i think this is what plant right 4 would look like (Not Platform Racing 4, it's Plant Right 4Wink )

sorry for the insanely large image and about the fact its made in scratch this project is dead anyways

can you teach me how to add images onto a post? xD
[Image: boomboomforalltid.gif?width=400&height=119]
(23rd September 2018, 5:54 AM)gemj Wrote: Will [email protected] still be involved?
I don't want to go too deep into that question at this stage, but there's something on my mind that could be problematic; if [email protected] is still relevant, will things change? As in, most of us will already have Crown and CB from transferring from PR2, but will there be anything new to fold for?
I kinda want the opinion of others on that; would you prefer having nothing to fold for or new things to fold for?

Sounds like a good thread idea in this section. Wink

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
I added a section for the *little* information we had on PR4 Lightbreakers. Hopefully, Jiggmin will stick with some of those ideas! I'm hoping that losing the PR2 client code didn't alter his plans.

(21st September 2018, 7:59 AM)fliker2 Wrote: "Plant Right 4" lmaooooo

I don't get it
- Bluelightning

[Image: Signiture.png]
(3rd October 2018, 8:25 PM)Bluelightning Wrote: I don't get it

The joke is that it's PR4, but Jiggmin's not really trying to make it conspicuous (other than naming it Plant Right 4).

because the joke only gets funnier when you explain it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj
(3rd October 2018, 8:44 PM)bls1999 Wrote: The joke is that it's PR4, but Jiggmin's not really trying to make it conspicuous (other than naming it Plant Right 4).

because the joke only gets funnier when you explain it

kneeslapper!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999, Camer the Dragon