Anyone here a fan of Undertale?
Heart 
Hi! I had created a full Undertale recreation in Platform Racing 2, it took me two years just to flesh out the ideas - (1) How to transpose elements from that game to this game; (2) how geographically-wise my level would be; (3) how should each boss battle behave; (4) should I include multiple endings, if so, then how; (5) how can I make it so that it is fun. It took me another year to actually craft the level itself.

1. I decided to use a faithful adaption of the source material, to cram every minuscule detail into my level, and it has to make sense. For example, I had changed the annoying rock you encountered in the ruins to the yellow-block-pushing-in-the-water-maze; or pushing yellow blocks (as flowers in Waterfall) to form a bridge. I am hoping that I have created every single scene in my level that would be recognizable and could be compared to.

2. During the developmental phase, I was thinking of whether I could add the River-person in so that the player could visit Snowdin, Waterfall and Hotlands at anytime during the level. However, as it soon turned out, my level had gotten so huge that it reached the block limit, forcing me to scrap that at the last minute. Then I had to relocate my entire level so that the start of the level is at the most top-left position, in order for me to keep building my level forward. As Undertale is a "linear" game going mostly from left to right, I had figured out that I would do the same here. The problem is that the area in where you can place blocks has limitations, so I cleverly figured out a solution to rotate the player twice and have the player go "in reverse", but they would still feel like going in the "right" direction.

3. For Toriel, her attacks were strong and seemingly unavoidable at first, but will then get weaker as the battle progresses. Hence, I created some unavoidable mine blocks at the start, and then decrease the number of mines as the battle goes on. For Papyrus, I made the whole boss battle a safety net level, so that when the player got hit, they'd be sent back to the last safe spot (which I named "the garage"). For Undyne, I made the battle simpler due to her complexity in the games: I put brick blocks under rotating blocks to simulate the different arrows thrown at the player. For Mettaton, I made a brick-shooting laser minigame, followed by a Hat-Factory-drop section, and at last a disco section. Unfortunately, due to the block limit, I could only stuff in these four bosses, and with that, I realised that I would have to create multiple endings leading to different levels based on the outcome that you had chosen. And that leads to...

4. How on earth do I even start? Given that the only item I could provide the player is the laser, I would need to make good use of it. I thought and thought, and I finally came up with this: The player would be given a laser at the end of each boss, and if you decide to kill it instead of sparing it, you'd have to shoot those lasers pointing at brick blocks. I have created 12 brick blocks that you have to shoot. The Genocide ending would unlock only if you had shot all 12 of them. The neutral ending would be shooting some but not all of the bricks, this makes the player fall down into an area which unlocks the Neutral ending. And the pacifist ending would be unlocked by not breaking any break blocks. I have tested this feature after I had implemented them and found that they all work as intended.

5. Finally. Having fun. I tried to make the level as interesting as possible, adding different level genres (no traps though) into the mix (be on the lookout for a surprise quiz show!), and creating a genuinely a fun experience for you all. They are a mix of being easy, challenging and maybe sometimes clever.

Last but not least, I am inviting all of you who came across my post to be my first beta-testers of this level! You could provide some feedback: whether I should add more dialogue, change this, change that, whether this makes sense or just simple improvements in general. The level title is Undertale the game by alvinalvinau.

P.S: I am sorry that I could not add any art whatsoever to it. The level will crash if there are too many artwork (I had tried that before, it was not fun) in there so I simply painted backgrounds in certain areas and that's it.

Bonus: Here's a clip featuring the beta-version of this level that was present two years ago: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX9j91gb7wg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Battlealvin2009 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Emeiry
i'm actually a huge fan of the game! a very close friend of mine showed me it, and i fell in love with it almost instantly. you did an amazing job recreating it! sadly, it'd be impossible to do the complete artwork for the level...
[Image: Emeiry.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emeiry For This Useful Post:
  • Battlealvin2009, Camer the Dragon
Yeah Big Grin It is a very awesome game
I played your level it was fun Smile, I Heart the quiz part haha that was funny the way you did it

I hope the other endings will be done at some point that'll be cool Cool

too bad you can't do the art/drawings but don't worry Smile

EDIT: also maybe this should be in PR2 since it's about a PR2 level https://jiggmin2.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?fid=5
EDIT 2: thx mods/admins
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Battlealvin2009