Level Thumbnails
Photo 
So I've been thinking lately (dangerous, I know). What if we had a thumbnail for PRF levels? We've all been in the situation where we're trying to find a specific level for some specific reason, and it's a pain to go through a million levels of the same name as the one you're looking for. With thumbnails, we would be able to recognise the level we want and combat this issue.

The thumbnails don't have to be big, and to make an exemplary model I kinda need to know the proportions of PRF, so I've refrained for now (I could use PR2 proportions, but with the talk about the four-slot system being scrapped or changed slightly, I don't think it'd be too accurate to what PRF will be like, to my knowledge).

This is simply something I think would be cool, I don't really know if I'm all too gung ho on it yet, if I'm honest, but I think it would maybe make PRF look a bit more appealing, somehow, to the new player.

Adding onto this, I think there should be a button in LE relating to this feature, where you can select a certain part of the level to feature as the thumbnail.

We could make discussion on whether it should be simply level screenshots/selected parts or whether outside pictures could be uploaded, I think. I'd be happy to leave that to a poll or community decision, just lmk.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Ashley766, bls1999, Northadox, xGuest, Zelante
Hmmmm.....
This could be nice actually.
Imagine the thumbnails that could be put on...
That is... if this is what I'm thinking of...

Is this what you meant?
[Image: LLwQFov.png]
(23rd November 2018, 3:34 PM)Lego-man945 Wrote: Hmmmm.....

Is this what you meant?

like a youtube thumbnail
[Image: sigimage.php?u=714605&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC][Image: sigimage.php?u=656104&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stxtics For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, Camer the Dragon, gemj
(23rd November 2018, 3:34 PM)Lego-man945 Wrote: Hmmmm.....

Is this what you meant?

yeah, I was thinking more of youtube thumbnail type thing like Stix said
Reminds me of Super Mario Maker's level selection screen; this would be a really cool addition!

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, Northadox
sounds pretty cool!
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to xd4 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
consider yourself bumped

possible PR2 addition...? I'm a little hesitant so I'd like to see what the community thinks (at its roots this is a PRF suggestion)
Maybe have the map as thumbnail yeah

It'd be nice when you wanna play a short or long level and want to look at a glance if the level is short or long
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Itd be great if you could even see the mini map before you play it
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sign guy For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Lego-man945
Maybe you could give the option to have the maker upload their own thumbnail from outside the game. Maybe you're doing a series of levels and you made a thumbnail on photoshop or something. That'd be cool. Maybe not for PR2, but definitely for PRF.
camel[Image: Fwq8x3F.png]ohnny
"Stop eating glue"
-mommy, last year
(17th December 2019, 6:14 PM)GI_John Wrote: Maybe you could give the option to have the maker upload their own thumbnail from outside the game. Maybe you're doing a series of levels and you made a thumbnail on photoshop or something. That'd be cool. Maybe not for PR2, but definitely for PRF.

Nah, the point of the thumbnail suggested is to give the person an idea of the level.
Uploading level thumbnails would allow for either unhelpful or deceitful level previews.
á
  • gemj
(17th December 2019, 6:23 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Nah, the point of the thumbnail suggested is to give the person an idea of the level.
Uploading level thumbnails would allow for either unhelpful or deceitful level previews.
Yeah that is a good point. However, misleading thumbnails could potentially be generated even without the user posting something they made from outside the game. They could make the level appear to be possible in the thumbnail from ingame, with an ending and everything, but a player could spawn in to discover the level's either impossible or just plain bad.

Maybe with this thumbnail feature you could include a flag or reporting system, kinda notifying the staff or signaling to the potential player that this thumbnail isn't telling the whole story.
camel[Image: Fwq8x3F.png]ohnny
"Stop eating glue"
-mommy, last year
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to GI_John For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(17th December 2019, 6:44 PM)GI_John Wrote: Yeah that is a good point. However, misleading thumbnails could potentially be generated even without the user posting something they made from outside the game. They could make the level appear to be possible in the thumbnail from ingame, with an ending and everything, but a player could spawn in to discover the level's either impossible or just plain bad.

Maybe with this thumbnail feature you could include a flag or reporting system, kinda notifying the staff or signaling to the potential player that this thumbnail isn't telling the whole story.

I think that'd swamp the staff with a lot of extra work
the 5* rating system should hopefully iron most of that stuff out
á
  • gemj