YouTube FTC COPPA Compliance
Discuss

Info:

(20th November 2019, 10:19 PM)Uptight 534 Wrote: Youtube was found to be in violation of the United States' Children's Online Policy Act (COPPA) by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). For context this is the same law that was enforced on JV (and is on JV2) that did not allow children under thirteen to register and be registered on the site without their parents permission. If someone said they were under thirteen (even as a joke), they would get banned until their thirteenth birthday.

Youtube cannot have collect data and target ads for children under thirteen. This causes content creators specializing in videos for younger people to lose revenue because targeted ads bring more revenue than general ads. There are also other restrictions on videos aimed at children. Creators have to specifically mark if one of their videos is aimed at children. If they do not do this and the FTC deems them in violation, the FTC will give them a fine of (so far seeing) $42,350 per video in violation.

There is also the issue of what constitutes "videos aimed at children" and content creators are worrying about if they will get affected (for example, gaming channels) (I think Camer is falling under this instant since Youtube can likely say PR2 videos are aimed at children).

Here is an article on this and a video from Youtube describing how content creators must comply:
https://nerdist.com/article/youtube-ftc-...emonetize/

I personally think YouTube should've just said "ok we collect data (do personalised ads/homescreen/etc.) on those with accounts only" but ofc they want money, so will put all this on the creators to get the most money still

EDIT: I don't blame YT for the situation overall (that is the FTC), only how they have dealt with it
á
Is the YouTube company going to loose alot of money on this? As well as youtubers.
(21st November 2019, 11:14 AM)platform guy Wrote: Is the YouTube company going to loose alot of money on this? As well as youtubers.

YT Already got sued for $170 Million

YT will make less money either way, since kid videos won't have targeted ads so they'll be less valuable
YouTubers will make less money on videos for kids
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
Just another change that sucks for creators and appeals to advertisers. YT is not "broadcast yourself" any more, it's "broadcast what's advertiser-friendly."

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, Northadox
I'm 20 years old and I watch pr2 videos. I would say they are not aimed for children they are aimed for people of all ages! and I think the people who are making pr2 videos are not doing it for AD revenue
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Atari4600 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, gemj, Master Raiden
Turns out YT could make an option for "Both" but they decided not to for greed
exactly as I thought
á
Yes

Attached Files Image(s)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Atari4600 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Camer the Dragon, gemj, John m., Master Raiden