Fixed direction Move blocks? and other suggestions
Instead of moving random directions, could it be set such that it moves in a fixed direction in perpetuity? This hopefully wouldn't be a game physics code, right? As it only changes the randomized direction check. (Of course the option to remain move in random directions be still there)

And by the way, is it possible to also change the time in which the Move blocks move? So instead of every 5 seconds approx., we could set every 1 second or every 20 seconds. 

This can add more variety to levels, such as making a one-way door (two move blocks on top of a brick block, and when the brick block is broken, the two move blocks will move downwards to block the path), or a moving snake-platform, or maybe a time challenge where move blocks all chase you from the left.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Battlealvin2009 For This Useful Post:
  • bazooka, Camer the Dragon, Magniloquent, Mia, oxy, tadtad
With the new custom item blocks update, would these ideas be possible now?
This is a really helpful mechanic in PR3, would be cool to have in PR2
Yeah, this sort of stuff is really neat in PR3. Could also let the player set the pattern (like in PR3), like "right, down, right, down, wait 2, random 5, wait, return"
i failed the mario twitter challenge
To make this easier to use and easier on the servers and bandwidth, you could do this:

Move block IDs, local to the level. You select a move block ID to place, and that ID corresponds to move speed and pattern. This prevents having to select 600 move blocks to set a pattern, and also the server doesn't have to store the same pattern 600 times.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • Battlealvin2009
(18th April 2021, 9:32 AM)tadtad Wrote: This is a really helpful mechanic in PR3, would be cool to have in PR2

Wait, was this actually a feature from PR3? I didn't realise that.
(20th April 2021, 5:26 AM)Battlealvin2009 Wrote: Wait, was this actually a feature from PR3? I didn't realise that.
Yeah there's a lot you can do with in in PR3.  You can make them move set directions, for example up, up, left, down, right, right, ect.
You can also set the time in between movements, so it can once every few seconds, or very quickly.

You can also apply it to any block type, so people have made stuff like a giant flood of blocks that moves right, chasing players and hurting them if it catches up.  You can make stuff like exploding fire blocks that fall from the sky, or hurt blocks that move in a repeating pattern to require precise timing to pass through.

You can even make a block move downwards every couple seconds, which makes the bottom of the map grow, so the longer you play a level, the bigger the drop gets if you fall off.
There's a ton you can do.
Move blocks are probably the most useless blocks in PR2, but being able to set the pattern of moves of each block and the time between moves like in PR3 would make them much more useful.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to bebok For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, Camer the Dragon, Cortisol, ProClifo, tadtad
Yes, bring the treadmill levels from PR3 into PR2! Bonus points if we can get an option where move blocks can push other blocks (although this would probably be laggy).
(24th March 2022, 9:15 AM)Cortisol Wrote: Yes, bring the treadmill levels from PR3 into PR2! Bonus points if we can get an option where move blocks can push other blocks (although this would probably be laggy).
Move blocks can push push blocks in PR3 and it runs fine (assuming a reasonable number of blocks involved)
(24th March 2022, 2:27 PM)ThePizzaEater1000 Wrote: Move blocks can push push blocks in PR3 and it runs fine (assuming a reasonable number of blocks involved)
Huh, never noticed that. Was that always a feature or was it added in Reborn?
(24th March 2022, 9:53 PM)Cortisol Wrote: Huh, never noticed that. Was that always a feature or was it added in Reborn?
I think it was always a feature, I remember that it worked before pr3 was reborn
This'd make them so useful
you could even make timers and such which could open up a lot more level design things
e.g. if you get to a point fast enough you get a secret area or if you survive long enough in a DM you get access to more weapons/hearts
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Lego-man945
(24th March 2022, 9:53 PM)Cortisol Wrote: Huh, never noticed that. Was that always a feature or was it added in Reborn?

Yeah that has always been a feature, ever since PR3 first came out
[Image: gWu2Jq2.png]
I would have to explore how to do this in the client's code, as everything is pretty globalized when it comes to timed events. I like this idea a lot, though.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Battlealvin2009
Bump (Due to seeing a similar suggestion made recently)