Orbit remake
Remember Jiggmin's obscure, exclusive to his site, and simple (yet addictive) game, Orbit?

No? I'm the only one? Everybody here is too busy flaunting their simming prowess in PR2 and aren't Jiggmin loremasters like myself? Okay...

Well, if you don't, that's okay. I remembered FOR you. As an aside while working on my Platform Racing clone (sorry, I'm just totally redoing the entire codebase for the third time and that's why there's been no progress, no I don't have a problem), I made a little remake of the game because I figured it'd be good practice (and more manageable in contrast to something as complex as Platform Racing).

[Image: 7F5ocC7.png]

Here's a little clip I recorded of it.

I'll clean up the code a bit, add some more visual flair and toss the code up somewhere in a jiff, as free/libre software of course. For the REAL Orbit superfans (me and one other person, I know they're out there, I WILL FIND YOU), I could even add some EPIC QoL features for the ULTIMATE multi-color sphere rotating and popping experience.

Here'sa little aside: I recall there was a contest on the OG JV where you'd played some selected game as a challenge. I recall Orbit being one such game (or maybe it was one of Jiggmin's other adjacent arcadey games) and I won said contest. Thing is, I actually I didn't. I just took the score screen and edited the numbers in MS Paint to look legit and win. I never have admitted this to anyone before, and it's been so long that I doubt anybody would care. This is my way of atoning. I hope you will forgive me.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Camer the Dragon, David
That looks really cool so far, nicely done! Did you know that Jiggmin made this game in a day as part of a self-imposed challenge? More info: https://web.archive.org/web/201110290618...h-jiggmin/

I seem to vaguely recall that contest. I really like the idea because Jiggmin made some really cool games that often get overlooked. I got to experience lots of the old games during the revival phase. If you want to run a contest in a similar vein, I think it would be very cool! We can use the highscores system with video verification. LMK if you're interested!

Also, what did you win from that contest? I'm gonna remove whatever it was since it was illegal.
jk lmao pretty sure the statute of limitations has been exceeded

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(2nd February 2022, 2:24 PM)bls1999 Wrote: That looks really cool so far, nicely done! Did you know that Jiggmin made this game in a day as part of a self-imposed challenge? More info: https://web.archive.org/web/201110290618...h-jiggmin/

I seem to vaguely recall that contest. I really like the idea because Jiggmin made some really cool games that often get overlooked. I got to experience lots of the old games during the revival phase. If you want to run a contest in a similar vein, I think it would be very cool! We can use the highscores system with video verification. LMK if you're interested!

Also, what did you win from that contest? I'm gonna remove whatever it was since it was illegal.
jk lmao pretty sure the statute of limitations has been exceeded

There they are, I found the other Orbit superfan! The only PROPER Orbit superfan anyways, given that you know more about it than I do. I just played the game from time to time back in the day because I found it midly amusing. It is a very "game jam" sorta game; I put out what you saw in the video in about 48~ hours (though obviously programming in just C with a framework is more troublesome than using Flash's suite of tools).

I was mostly just musing about an old memory of mine. I can't recall what the contest was (probably some "x of the Week" thing), but with some scouring on the Wayback Machine I'm sure you could find it. I don't think I'd have the guts for running a contest, I interact with the community intermittently anyway and I'd probably have some beef with other judges in terms of what we're using for communication (stop using D*scord btw). All I do here is just make silly recreations of old Flash games made by some weirdo who has moved past that era of his life whom I have an unhealthy obsession with and pontificate about freedumbs in software or whatever.

I think the contest reward was Epic Stick Parts or something? Take it away if you wish, I already have Epic Everything anyway!!
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
oh yeah this game was fun I was rly bad at it tho lmao
á
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Northadox
ACHOO!

Sorry, i just sneezed out my spaghetti source code.

[Image: XrUrBhV.png]

I pretty much just polished it hard to be at the level of Orbit. Title screen, score screen, text before the game begins, more Orbit-accurate controls, particles, plus some additionial features, like showing what level you're at (different from the highest color orb you have), a score display during the game, a feature where you can get an extra hit at certain score thresholds, and a lot of visual/audio polish, like the addition of some sound effects (taken from Jiggmin's wonderful sound effects library, thank you Jiggmin Wiki), a hit indicator and the like. 

A clip of it in action. I don't know why it gets so choppy at the end, I need to look into that!

Now I wanna figure out WebAssembly and getting a Windows build, because none of you will play it otherwise!
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon