PROJECT 1A
I want you to tap into the right side of your brain hemisphere, and think about what this game really needs to have, implemented. If you've read my blog, then you understand exactly what is about to happen. I'm not going to rant on too much; I'm just going to show you some changes that I've made to Mario Bros Remix, in Photoshop. I used this level as an example. These are ideas that should have happened a long time ago, and I'll explain them all.

I know it's a lot of reading, but trust me... you're not going to want to skim over any of this.

This is a regular, boring ass Pr2 layout, with nothing exciting happening 🥱 There's that lame ass, Artifact hat that disappears after 30secs, making you regret 30secs of your life, backwards 💀 Pay close attention to everything in this picture because the next picture is about to change.

[Image: aHA3p3F.png]

All of a sudden, things are completely different from the first picture, right? These are my ideas that I worked on, in Photoshop. Sure, some of it looks a little rough, but it's the thoughts and imaginations that count. What's changed? Well, you have a speedometer on the bottom right-hand side, to track your speed, a box on the bottom left-hand side, showing you the racing leader (who's ahead of you) along with a different looking map, a red square in the top map because you're going super fast, a different looking speed item in the top left-hand corner, and 4 dots (instead of 3) to track how fast you can go.

[Image: D2Rc1Fv.png]

Now, this is what SHOULD happen when a REAL Artifact hat, reaches its' final form! As you can see, the environment changed, colors have changed, and you're equipped with super powers, which will be discussed in Project 1B. By now, you're probably wondering what happens next. REMEMBER: These are ideas, not drawings. Except for the box on the left, which I'll explain below.

Oh and FYI, you'll have the option to go backwards with the Artifact hat or not. Plus you won't automatically forfeit after 30secs.

By now you're thinking... 'What the hell is all this stuff?' Well, allow me to give you a list of what's going on and what each item, represents.

Speedometer: This is something that I think, should have been added years ago. With just this one little change, could reel in some potential players. The speedometer image, I downloaded from a site, which I'll credit at the end of this thread. But for now, the speedometers' purpose is to track how fast you're going by km/mph. The faster you go, the more your player changes colors, regardless of whether you have the artifact on or not.

Green= Normal Speed. Yellow= Fast Speed. Orange= Speed Demon!. Red= Super Blazin' Fast!. How fast you can go, how to get that fast, and how long it will last, will be discussed in Project 1B.

The Speedometer on the bottom right-hand side, stays active, regardless of whether you have the hat on or not. Also, I just thought it'd be fascinating to replace the old, pale-ass looking speed item at the top, with a badass speedometer.

On the bottom, left-hand side, you have a different layout of the map. This is purposely designed to tell you who is in front of you and give you a different view of the map. Now I know I have 8 racers on that map, but damn, wouldn't that be cool to have 8 players in a race?! This map was drawn by me. It's rough, yes, but you have to remember that this is an idea that could be part of the game.

The 4 dots beside the speedometer is on a whole different level than your average dots that you collect from getting a regular-ass speed burst. Let me remind you that normally when you get a speed burst, it has that one puny ass looking dot, that does nothing but allow you to run fast for a few seconds; that's it!

The 4 dots on the other hand, are on a whole different level because they tell you how fast you're allowed to go, depending on your stats. Sure a speed burst can make a difference there, but it will only go but so far. If you have maxed out, happy hour stats... then shockingly enough, you will only see a maximum of an orange dot 🤔😱 Why?! Because I'm saving the best for last, that's why. The red dot is special, and with speeds that extreme, that high, can only be accessed through a special item, or the artifact hat.

If you're going Super Blazin' Fast!, this will increase and exceed happy hour stats, by 10 points for each stat. Speed, acceleration, and jump. I know this sounds crazy, but when I reveal what speeds that high can do in the next project, you'll understand why.

Let me know what you all think of these ideas. If I reveal everything all at once, God knows how long this thread will be. Think about it. Just remember, these are just ideas. If you want to draw some things out, be my guest because I can't draw.

Here's what we've covered in Project 1A

Project 1A
Speedometer
Different Map
Race Leader
Red Square
Artifact Hat
4 Dots
Going Fast

What's Next?!

Project 1B
Discusses Stat Points
Goes in depth about the Artifacts Super powers & its' FULL potential
Discusses how fast you can go, how to get that fast, & how long it will last
New Sound Effects
The 4 Dots Mechanics
New Death Match Health Meter
New Speed Item Block

Speedometer Credits
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ Mia, Northadox, oxy
This seems inspired by car racing games, which is cool, but I don't really find it suitable for Platform Racing 2.

Removal of 30 second timer
This is probably the biggest reason (apart from reversed controls) why no one uses the hat. Although it stops Artifact wearers from having an overpowered advantage in races, levels with unlimited time do exist and nothing is stopping them there. I would personally like to see the 30 second limit removed if you own your own Artifact Hat.

Speedometer
Not sure how you're supposed to determine the speed in kph or mph, not that it would be very useful to anyone. I think it would be better to show the in-game speed, if anything.

Also, if you have the Artifact with a speed burst, the speedometer would be quite pointless since you'll either be going 0 or full speed most of the time. Anything in between would be irrelevant and the pin would just be flicking between 0 and top speed. It kind of gets in the way as well; if you're going fast, you'll want to see as far ahead as possible.

Different Map
How are you supposed to display the map "differently"? PR2 is a 2D game, so there isn't much you can do.
And this has been brought up in previous PR2 idea – how is the game supposed to know who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Changing Colors
Maybe a filter could be added to make things look a little different, or maybe a slight change in contrast/saturation.
Completely changing the colors is just dumb, in my opinion. I would never use the Artifact Hat if it did that.

Red Square
I don't mind this change, but I don't really look at the map unless I am racing/DMing with someone and want to know where they are.

4 Dots
Interesting idea. The single dot you get with the speed burst is meaningless, so making more use of the dots would be a welcome change.
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ Different
(11th February 2022, 5:07 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: Speedometer
Not sure how you're supposed to determine the speed in kph or mph, not that it would be very useful to anyone. I think it would be better to show the in-game speed, if anything.

Also, if you have the Artifact with a speed burst, the speedometer would be quite pointless since you'll either be going 0 or full speed most of the time. Anything in between would be irrelevant and the pin would just be flicking between 0 and top speed. It kind of gets in the way as well; if you're going fast, you'll want to see as far ahead as possible.

Yeah I was thinking someone would have to do calculations to determine how far you'd have to travel, to reach just 1 mile or 1km. Then once that's accomplished, the in-game parameters would have to be set, for the speedometer to tell you how fast you're going, based on your stats and additional speed items.

The Artifact with a regular speed burst, won't change your speed at all. It'll just be normal. It will, however, increase your chances of obtaining a higher speed level, which I'll discuss more about in Project 1B, where you're farming for higher speeds. On the other hand, I hear you, though. I'll propose a feature where you can have the option to display the speedometer.

(11th February 2022, 5:07 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: Different Map
How are you supposed to display the map "differently"? PR2 is a 2D game, so there isn't much you can do.
And this has been brought up in previous PR2 idea – how is the game supposed to know who is 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th?

Yeah this idea might be a little far-fetched. I understand that displaying a different view of the map, might be too advanced for this game. However, being able to see who the racing leader is, could use some attention, when it comes to setting the parameters for this game.

(11th February 2022, 5:07 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: Changing Colors
Maybe a filter could be added to make things look a little different, or maybe a slight change in contrast/saturation.
Completely changing the colors is just dumb, in my opinion. I would never use the Artifact Hat if it did that.

The only time this feature would be active, is when the Artifact Hat is in use of its' powers. The filter suggestion sounds like a good idea, which is now something I'm considering on discussing in Project 1B. Overall, it'd just be an option, but it's there by default. You can't see this change, unless you have the hat on. But don't worry, it'll all make sense in Project 1B, where I'll be going in depth on everything.

(11th February 2022, 5:07 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: 4 Dots
Interesting idea. The single dot you get with the speed burst is meaningless, so making more use of the dots would be a welcome change.

Absolutely. I agree. In Project 1B, you're gonna find out how to trigger these things, based on a special block and stats.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ oxy
(12th February 2022, 2:05 AM)Mystery Wrote: I feel like determining who is in what place is only really possible in Objective mode. Most levels aren't linear, and I'm not sure how it would track who's winning in that case. Though I do really like that idea.

The only mode that probably wouldn't make sense for it, would be the Deathmatch mode. Everything else is a possibility.
  â€¢ oxy
(12th February 2022, 8:52 AM)Mystery Wrote: Hmm, maybe a way to create a path of completion? Like, a line you put in Level Editor from start to finish so in can track your placement? That might work. And in Deathmatch, whoever has the most hearts, I suppose.

Possibly. The parameters would be different, when you go after other modes, other than a regular race. The Deathmatch mode telling you who has the most hearts, is a smart, but lethal idea lol; everyone will go after you at that point 😂
  â€¢ oxy
(11th February 2022, 5:07 AM)Master Raiden Wrote: Speedometer

I thought 1 block = 1m
cos the character is just under 2 blocks tall

EDIT: after checking ingame pixel heights (fullscreen 1080p but with the toolbar making it a bit less) the classic character is 127px high and 2 blocks are 155px (yeah 155 for 2 the blocks aren't exact number of pixels in 1080p with a bit of a toolbar it seems, since the game was meant for 550x400, even though 1080 gives an exact amount the toolbar changes a bit)
but in all that'd make the character ~1.6387m tall which is about 5'4.5"
á
PROJECT 1B, coming soon!
  â€¢ oxy