Pr2 – Level Tier List
Recently, I've created a tier list because I'm curious to know what you people think about the racing modes in Pr2. Based on your input and ratings, this could be the leading reason why the game is DEAD. This will help me understand what I need to include in my next project proposal. Also, quite frankly, I think it's time for a new game level. It's either been so long since we've had one, or maybe there's never been a really good one that's very addicting. There's no poll this time, just a tier list that you can check out, here:

Platform Racing 2 – Game levels

Please, feel free to place the icons where you think is the most awesome or the most trash. Then when you're done, take a screenshot of your completed results and share them on this thread. Some of these icons aren't actually modes, but they've been inspired by all of you, to be a thing.

[Image: zfSdMMJ.png] = Race Mode

[Image: DKpEykb.png] = Frustration Mode

[Image: tESjrNT.png] = Deathmatch Mode

[Image: v5KGThv.png] = Traps Mode

[Image: G8jBQfP.png] = Objective Mode

[Image: GMoWBXv.png] = Hat Attack Mode

[Image: QO9jXM6.png] = Alien Eggs Mode
*Feels a bit weird to include only 2 of the many gameplay styles (frusts and traps) with the main game modes ("comparing apples to organges"), so I'll exclude them:

https://prnt.sc/xxDC6nWSr5dy

Objective: slightly superior to Race due to (1) the ability to show the player his progress throughout the map, while rewarding him according to his progress (exp!), (2) its versatility, opening up countless unique & creative mapmaking ideas (ex: special/overlapping pathways), and (3) setting key checkpoints the player must reach, especially crucial to prevent exploits in challenging glitch, trap, & frust maps with HOFs.

Race: the classic, simple but extremely effective; ideal for 95% of races where you want a clear goal (the finish) and to encourage player agency & creativity (think Candyland and its countless pathways depending on your skill, knowledge, items gained, and reacting to other players' actions).

Deathmatch: perfect where it excels at (the classic arena deathmatch with swords & guns), while also having some potential for creative mapmaking ideas (ex: uniquely adapting styles like traps & frusts).

Hat Attack: idk what this is

Egg Mode: idk what this is
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Magniloquent For This Useful Post:
  • Different
you forgot Alien Eggs, which is fine because everyone else forgot it too. also this tier list is weird because you're comparing PR2's game modes (race, deathmatch, objective, and alien eggs) with a level theme (traps) and a very ambigious word for a difficult level (frust)

also I really don't like traps. I really don't like them. the beauty about many other long-standing game communities with community levels (say, classic Doom, Super Mario World and its ROM hacking community) is that while passionate fans will always prefer more difficult, nail-biting levels, there's always something for everyone, and even with the tougher levels, the people behind these levels will be very meticulous about their levels' designs and to make sure that they're enjoyable by anyone willing to try them.

but PR2 is an anomaly for some reason, because this game's entire legacy since like 2010 is TRAPS. go to today's best or most recent, it's 90% TRAPS. and okay, maybe I'll bite the bullet and try one, and by the first or second section I'm stuck in that age-old combination of arrow and water blocks. the author expects you to repeatedly play their level until you master it and squeeze past all of the softlocking junk, but the thing is, WHY? why would I want to do that with one out of THOUSANDS of nigh-identical levels with the exact same sort of designs, battling against using PR2's floaty, imprecise physics for incredibly precise levels, when I could play a nicely-designed level with great art that has an balanced escalation of difficulty and doesn't just want to gobble up all of my time?

I recall back to when I played Mario Maker and a guy commented on my level saying they got softlocked somewhere, and they clearly weren't happy! but PR2 Is bizarro world. people WANT there to be tons of softlocking opportunities in a level and will hardly bother otherwise. there's this whole cult of trappers and frusters and what-have-you and frankly it's so far distanced from what I like about PR2 and I just feel totally lost about the appeal.

yes, I get it, it must feel really rewarding to beat one. it's rewarding to have the bragging rights, mastering your WASD/arrow keys pianist skills, shorthopping and the like, but like could you make something else for once? that's just where I stand. you can make tough, creative levels, and I've played and enjoyed many like that! I'll enioy a "frust" (a challenging level that doesn't include traps? is that what the term means?) more than I do a trap level because at least a frust doesn't take away progress if you screw up. It's not like I'm allergic to challenge, I've beaten the campaign level Legend legit (inb4 "that level is super easy!!!!!!!" it's really not sorry!!!!) and I quite enjoyed it.

but that's just me! more power to you if you do enjoy traps. I just have weird tastes in contrast to the lot here.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Magniloquent
Alien eggs is the best because if you test it in level editor without having placed any blocks it softlocks the game
á
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Adulock77, Different, Magniloquent
(13th March 2022, 5:14 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Alien eggs is the best because if you test it in level editor without having placed any blocks it softlocks the game

Since a few people mentioned Alien eggs, I'll go ahead and modify the list.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(13th March 2022, 2:35 PM)Different Wrote:  Based on your input and ratings, this could be the leading reason why the game is DEAD. 
The game is dead because it's 15 years old and nobody plays flash games anymore. It's that simple.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:
  • Titanium
[Image: iG-HeM-XGN8a]
https://prnt.sc/iG-HeM-XGN8a
Rollers are not on the list but if they were make a tier above eggs and that is where I put them (:
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tadtad For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Northadox, ThePizzaEater1000