Poll: Do you agree with the U.S constitution that permits a U.S citizen, the right to bear firearms?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The result of this poll remains hidden until the poll closes.

U.S. 2nd Amendment
Do you agree with the U.S constitution that permits a U.S citizen, the right to bear firearms? In my opinion, there are those who fully support the 2nd Amendment because they feel the need to protect themselves when threatened by a criminal; as long as it's utilized for self-defense, purposes.

Then, there are those who see it as a controversial issue because they are uncomfortable with owning guns, due to placing others' lives in danger & inciting violent, criminalistic behavior.

[Image: uiB1HU0.jpg]
I don't like the notion that the 2nd amendment is for self-protection. Sure, it's a good benefit but to me, the more important part is having a well-regulated militia. If the military has big weapons, then the people need to have those weapons too. Otherwise, tyranny can be regulated and the people would be powerless to stop it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Different, Magniloquent, Northadox
Also, what's with the two political discussions all within a day?
It's scary to know that anyone on the streets could potentially be carrying a weapon that can kill you instantly without them needing to be close to you.

Guns give bad people more opportunity to cause damage. With a gun, they could kill 20+ people in a matter of minutes. Without one, they wouldn't be able to kill nearly as many people.

That being said, it's always nice to see people use their guns for good. But when everyone has a gun, it's a level playing field, so what's the point? It's far too late to impose a firearms ban, so I guess we'll have to live with them.
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Different
(27th April 2022, 9:42 AM)Kribbles Wrote: Also, what's with the two political discussions all within a day?

I just felt like this topic had to be discussed, right away.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Kribbles
see kribbles' post
ideally I wouldn't want to ever use a firearm outside of recreation, but it's important for civilians to be able to have access to weaponry to counter government overreach
don't want people shooting each other? build high trust societies instead of taking the guns away
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(27th April 2022, 9:41 AM)Kribbles Wrote: If the military has big weapons, then the people need to have those weapons too

"big weapons" to me would be things like tanks, jets, surface-to-air missiles, etc, and that's definitely not something civilians should have access to. What civilians should have access to are small arms, basically anything that's carried and used by your hands (I would exempt things like rocket launchers, grenades, miniguns, etc)

Personally I support the 2nd amendment, but there's a lot of laws that need to be repelled and other laws that should be added. My views on those here:
I own several firearms myself and for me it's mostly about protection and recreation, but I completely support the well-regulated militia part as the power is with the people and we should be able to stand up to a tyrannical government if that time ever comes (I don't think it will, but without even the possibility of a well-regulated militia it would definitely have increased chances)

Also, that pic did an oops lol. That AR-15 is a .22 LR yet the rounds next to it are likely 5.56, huge difference there (even without a huge difference, match the rounds to the firearm)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Kribbles
(27th April 2022, 12:53 PM)David Wrote: I own several firearms myself and for me it's mostly about protection and recreation, but I completely support the well-regulated militia part as the power is with the people and we should be able to stand up to a tyrannical government if that time ever comes (I don't think it will, but without even the possibility of a well-regulated militia it would definitely have increased chances)

What's the point of owning "several" different firearms? Just out of curiosity. I thought about buying a Glock 17 and maybe an Ar15. But I'm curious as to why people would need a whole bunch of them. Personally, I would just keep one in my car and one in my house.
(27th April 2022, 1:09 PM)Different Wrote: What's the point of owning "several" different firearms? Just out of curiosity. I thought about buying a Glock 17 and maybe an Ar15. But I'm curious as to why people would need a whole bunch of them. Personally, I would just keep one in my car and one in my house.

Different firearms for different purposes, and maybe a backup for some or all. For conceal carry you'll want a pistol of course, but for home defense you could use a rifle instead (I'd recommend a sub gun over a rifle for home defense for easier maneuverability) or a shotgun. If you're a hunter you might use a high power bolt action rifle and for small game a .22 LR rifle would be great. If you're more serious about a well-regulated militia or SHTF you might also want something like a DMR (designated marksman rifle) or a .50 BMG if you wanna go all out lol. Or simply fulfill different recreational purposes, especially if you're into gun competitions (there's also collectors of firearms)

If you could only have one gun definitely go for a pistol, Glock 19 would be my choice for it's extra concealability over the 17. Two guns I'd personally add a AR-15 "pistol" (or sub gun as I like to call it), but any size AR-15 would be good
  • Different, Kribbles
(27th April 2022, 12:53 PM)David Wrote: "big weapons" to me would be things like tanks, jets, surface-to-air missiles, etc, and that's definitely not something civilians should have access to. What civilians should have access to are small arms, basically anything that's carried and used by your hands (I would exempt things like rocket launchers, grenades, miniguns, etc)
That's what I meant, yeah. I don't really trust your average Joe and Jane with a nuclear warhead or a tank. I think explosives should be legal, but explosives meant to harm people (grenades) is not what I envision either. Automatic weapons are iffy to me. A lot, a lot of regulation for them is good. Outright banning them is scary to me, especially since the military has them, but I don't think your average Joe should have them.. not a good thing. Background checks for sure.

(27th April 2022, 12:53 PM)David Wrote: I own several firearms myself and for me it's mostly about protection and recreation, but I completely support the well-regulated militia part as the power is with the people and we should be able to stand up to a tyrannical government if that time ever comes (I don't think it will, but without even the possibility of a well-regulated militia it would definitely have increased chances)
I've only shot up to a high caliber or some big pistols (desert eagles are craaaaazy) and it's definitely only for recreation (hunting = recreation to me) for me. I don't have either open carry or concealed carry, but I fully approve of pistols. I genuinely feel safer when someone has a pistol on them.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • David
Oh, boy… We are one degree away from “Does God Exist?”
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, Dangevin, David, Delphinoid, Different, Kribbles, Magniloquent, Matt, Northadox
(27th April 2022, 2:24 PM)Uptight 534 Wrote: Oh, boy… We are one degree away from “Does God Exist?”

Sounds like a great topic for the next thread 🤔
I for one, agree with the U.S. 2nd Amendment.
As a British, I don't understand this.
I've seen 2 news articles in the last 7 days of shootings in America, innocent people hurt or dead.
Do you have a procedure in order to obtain a weapon? Like criminal background check? Do you have a mental health evaluation before you're allowed to buy/carry a weapon?
Like do they do a thorough background check on you before you're allowed to carry a deadly weapon in public?
It's insane to me, the chaos it has caused, school shootings, public murder, suicide, I even saw a video of a little girl playing with a gun and she accidentally shot her cousin and then herself right after.
Another video where a girl was pranking her boyfriend and hid in his 'pantry' before he came back from work, when he opened the door to grab something he shot her by accident. It's absolutely crazy.
It's just pure sad, civilians shouldn't be allowed to carry any weapons.
OK the UK isn't perfect we have knife crime and the odd shootings, but we have laws in place to keep civilians safe from other civilians. We have armed officers who arrive in different cars to the usual police officers, but we are OK without having guns on our hip whenever we leave the house.
To carry a gun as self defence is just beyond crazy, like you get yourself into a bad situation or live in a rough area then it's your choice to move or stay.
I'm not knocking your laws, but from my point of view it has done more damage than good.
My partner got hit in the head with a hammer when he broke into a paedophiles house, the guy claimed he used it as self defence but still got sent down for 11 years for using 'unreasonable' force.
Imagine shooting someone because they accidentally walked into the wrong house LMAO the US is crazy.

So can someone just explain LMAO don't throw shade at me I'm just voicing my opinion also.
Discord - Mikasa.A.Cain #0705 Steam - IziCain
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to *Izi-Blissers* For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Master Raiden
I may not be the best person to answer this. I think David or someone else who actually has a CPL or an open carry license would have more informed answers, but you have me instead.

(28th April 2022, 1:49 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Do you have a procedure in order to obtain a weapon? Like criminal background check? Do you have a mental health evaluation before you're allowed to buy/carry a weapon?
Like do they do a thorough background check on you before you're allowed to carry a deadly weapon in public?
Yes, yes, yes. Though, it's all dependent on the state. I think in Texas, you don't do any of this, but Texas is as Texas does. In places like Illinois, it's fairly impossible to get any firearms, but Chicago has a very high gun crime rate. The coasts are very strict on gun laws, and the south is very lenient on gun laws.

(28th April 2022, 1:49 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: It's insane to me, the chaos it has caused, school shootings, public murder, suicide, I even saw a video of a little girl playing with a gun and she accidentally shot her cousin and then herself right after.
Another video where a girl was pranking her boyfriend and hid in his 'pantry' before he came back from work, when he opened the door to grab something he shot her by accident. It's absolutely crazy.
It's just pure sad, civilians shouldn't be allowed to carry any weapons.
I find those people quite stupid and it's definitely very sad. There are gun cases and muzzle discipline for a reason... and people who fail to follow that are just not good people. I think civilian vs government is more so the important thing to me. It'd be scary to me seeing the military having all these weapons and I've zero way to defend myself. I think maybe the difference is in America, we don't trust the government, and in the UK, you do.

(28th April 2022, 1:49 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: OK the UK isn't perfect we have knife crime and the odd shootings, but we have laws in place to keep civilians safe from other civilians. We have armed officers who arrive in different cars to the usual police officers, but we are OK without having guns on our hip whenever we leave the house.
To carry a gun as self defence is just beyond crazy, like you get yourself into a bad situation or live in a rough area then it's your choice to move or stay.
I think that's the most argued point here: the police take around 5 or so minutes to arrive, while taking out a gun from your holster takes less than a second. It's comforting to be able to defend yourself rather than waiting for a public servant to arrive.

(28th April 2022, 1:49 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Imagine shooting someone because they accidentally walked into the wrong house LMAO the US is crazy.
That's definitely crazy and I barely hear about this. For sure that's excessive force.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • *Izi-Blissers*, Different
(28th April 2022, 3:41 PM)Kribbles Wrote: I may not be the best person to answer this. I think David or someone else who actually has a CPL or an open carry license would have more informed answers, but you have me instead.

Yes, yes, yes. Though, it's all dependent on the state. I think in Texas, you don't do any of this, but Texas is as Texas does. In places like Illinois, it's fairly impossible to get any firearms, but Chicago has a very high gun crime rate. The coasts are very strict on gun laws, and the south is very lenient on gun laws.
So each state has different laws? Is that just for carrying a gun or the laws are different in general? Like for crime and punishment?
If so that's just insane, it's like me walking from one city to another here in England and having to obey different rules like what the...
Discord - Mikasa.A.Cain #0705 Steam - IziCain
(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: So each state has different laws? Is that just for carrying a gun or the laws are different in general? Like for crime and punishment?
If so that's just insane, it's like me walking from one city to another here in England and having to obey different rules like what the...
We are the United States of America. There is a federal government that oversees small things like distributing wealth and maintaining an army, but a lot of political power is within the states. Imagine it's similar to the EU where each country has different laws, but the EU has a little bit of power. The US federal government does have more power than the EU (where, in my eyes, the EU is like the United Nations where they say they have power but no one really cares or follows what they say).

You cannot buy a firearm from a different state (legally). Wherever you live, you need to follow that state's rules. In Washington DC and Maryland, it's nearly impossible to get a gun, so a lot of federal employees live in Virginia to own guns and then commute to DC. If you get a speeding ticket in Ohio and you live in California, and you want to take it to court, you need to go back to Ohio to go to the court.

The differences for firearm regulation between states is pretty similar in some regards and vastly different in other regards. They all follow the same general rules, but some states really cut corners and others follow it to a tee. Some make it really, really difficult.

Just gonna add a post script that I'm not 100% on all of this, so someone might correct me here... If I'm wrong, let me know
(28th April 2022, 7:27 PM)Delphinoid Wrote: I think a lot of Americans are, ironically, enslaved by their own ideas of so-called freedom.

I couldn't agree more with this. Giving "freedom" to people who don't know what they're doing can sometimes be a terrible idea, especially when it comes to using guns.
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
(28th April 2022, 7:29 PM)Kribbles Wrote: Yes, yes, yes. Though, it's all dependent on the state. I think in Texas, you don't do any of this, but Texas is as Texas does. In places like Illinois, it's fairly impossible to get any firearms, but Chicago has a very high gun crime rate. The coasts are very strict on gun laws, and the south is very lenient on gun laws.

There's no states exempt from doing background checks, it's federal law that you have a background check done when buying a firearm from a licensed dealer. However, private sales of firearms don't require background checks, in a lot of states at least (I'm sure some states require it across the board). A private sale is personally selling one of your guns to someone, I believe it's illegal to sell to a known criminal but without requiring a background check you risk unknowingly selling to one (I'd only recommend selling to known good family or friends if you really want to sell one without going through a dealer, or there might be a way to request a background check, not sure)

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: I've seen 2 news articles in the last 7 days of shootings in America, innocent people hurt or dead.

There would also be many people in that timeframe that successfully defended themselves with a gun from bodily harm or death either to themselves or someone else

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Do you have a procedure in order to obtain a weapon? Like criminal background check? Do you have a mental health evaluation before you're allowed to buy/carry a weapon?

You used the word "weapon" but I'll just speak on the gun portion here. When buying from a licensed dealer there is always a background check regardless where you are in the U.S., but in a lot of states you can buy a firearm without a background check if it's a private sale (so like me selling to you). There is no mental health evaluation but if a dealer noticed you acting strange and thought it would be a bad idea to sell to you they should refuse the sale. I do think a mental health evaluation should be added as a requirement but it'd have to be done carefully as to not become a slippery slope

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: To carry a gun as self defence is just beyond crazy, like you get yourself into a bad situation or live in a rough area then it's your choice to move or stay.

Sometimes the bad situation brings itself to you, and not everyone can afford to move to a safer area.

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Imagine shooting someone because they accidentally walked into the wrong house LMAO the US is crazy.

I don't agree with shooting someone without warning for simply breaking in, from my understanding you'd be legally right to do so (in some states at least) but I personally think you should warn if you can and I assume most people do (if the threat is imminent and there's no time to warn then that's an obvious exception)

Responding to some other points, like @Kribbles said police can't show up immediately and if the threat is imminent you have to be the one to act. And while terrible things can happen when guns are involved, it's almost always negligence and lack of education. We do need to better educate on firearms and people need to make sure to properly store their firearms (most people that own guns are educated and store properly, but there needs to be systems in place to make sure everyone understands before they get a firearm)
  • Different, Kribbles
These are honestly the most civilized discussions I've heard. I appreciate it, guys. Thanks.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • Different