Poll: Do you agree with the U.S constitution that permits a U.S citizen, the right to bear firearms?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
The result of this poll remains hidden until the poll closes.

U.S. 2nd Amendment
(28th April 2022, 7:29 PM)Kribbles Wrote: Yes, yes, yes. Though, it's all dependent on the state. I think in Texas, you don't do any of this, but Texas is as Texas does. In places like Illinois, it's fairly impossible to get any firearms, but Chicago has a very high gun crime rate. The coasts are very strict on gun laws, and the south is very lenient on gun laws.

There's no states exempt from doing background checks, it's federal law that you have a background check done when buying a firearm from a licensed dealer. However, private sales of firearms don't require background checks, in a lot of states at least (I'm sure some states require it across the board). A private sale is personally selling one of your guns to someone, I believe it's illegal to sell to a known criminal but without requiring a background check you risk unknowingly selling to one (I'd only recommend selling to known good family or friends if you really want to sell one without going through a dealer, or there might be a way to request a background check, not sure)

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: I've seen 2 news articles in the last 7 days of shootings in America, innocent people hurt or dead.

There would also be many people in that timeframe that successfully defended themselves with a gun from bodily harm or death either to themselves or someone else

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Do you have a procedure in order to obtain a weapon? Like criminal background check? Do you have a mental health evaluation before you're allowed to buy/carry a weapon?

Like do they do a thorough background check on you before you're allowed to carry a deadly weapon in public?

You used the word "weapon" but I'll just speak on the gun portion here. When buying from a licensed dealer there is always a background check regardless where you are in the U.S., but in a lot of states you can buy a firearm without a background check if it's a private sale (so like me selling to you). There is no mental health evaluation but if a dealer noticed you acting strange and thought it would be a bad idea to sell to you they should refuse the sale. I do think a mental health evaluation should be added as a requirement but it'd have to be done carefully as to not become a slippery slope

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: To carry a gun as self defence is just beyond crazy, like you get yourself into a bad situation or live in a rough area then it's your choice to move or stay.

Sometimes the bad situation brings itself to you, and not everyone can afford to move to a safer area.

(28th April 2022, 3:55 PM)*Izi-Blissers* Wrote: Imagine shooting someone because they accidentally walked into the wrong house LMAO the US is crazy.

I don't agree with shooting someone without warning for simply breaking in, from my understanding you'd be legally right to do so (in some states at least) but I personally think you should warn if you can and I assume most people do (if the threat is imminent and there's no time to warn then that's an obvious exception)

Responding to some other points, like @Kribbles said police can't show up immediately and if the threat is imminent you have to be the one to act. And while terrible things can happen when guns are involved, it's almost always negligence and lack of education. We do need to better educate on firearms and people need to make sure to properly store their firearms (most people that own guns are educated and store properly, but there needs to be systems in place to make sure everyone understands before they get a firearm)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Kribbles

Messages In This Thread
U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Different - 27th April 2022, 9:27 AM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Kribbles - 27th April 2022, 9:41 AM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by David - 27th April 2022, 12:53 PM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Different - 27th April 2022, 1:09 PM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by David - 27th April 2022, 1:50 PM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Kribbles - 27th April 2022, 9:42 AM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Different - 27th April 2022, 9:48 AM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Master Raiden - 27th April 2022, 9:44 AM
RE: U.S. 2nd Amendment - by Northadox - 27th April 2022, 11:39 AM