Help with Math question...
Before we get to this, it's a question on Sets (the Venn diagram stuff).

Alright so this is the question:

A group of people were asked to identify their favourite cars. The results are summarised below.
62 liked Honda,
40 liked Volvo,
5 liked GM,
2 like Honda, Volvo and GM,
3 like Volvo and GM,
20 like Honda and Volvo,
42 like only Honda and neither of the two; and
12 like none of these cars.

i) How many were surveyed?
ii) How many don't like GM?
iii) How many like Honda and GM?
iv) How many like exactly one of the three cars?

Note: Let us use the lowercase alphabets 'n' for intersect symbol, and 'u' for union.
1) 186
2) 176
3) 134
4) 149

If there's any thinking outside of the box, it's too early for me to do that, they are just the answers I got by being basic xD
(17th January 2018, 9:46 AM)a7x3 Wrote: 1) 186
2) 176
3) 134
4) 149

If there's any thinking outside of the box, it's too early for me to do that, they are just the answers I got by being basic xD

I don't think that's how it works, lol.
At least you tried :b
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Zelante For This Useful Post:
  • a7x3
(17th January 2018, 11:27 AM)Erin Wrote: Kinda irrelevant, but Buick's better, even though Buick's the "poor man's Cadillac."
Honda's kinda suck. Should have gotten a Hyundai, instead. Would have made the question way more interesting. Long stories get short, Buick > Honda/Volvo.

I thought Pontiac was the poor man's Cadillac
= Brain damage.
Pineapple, Coconut, BIG Banana, 2 BIG meat patties & a ooshy mama! 

[Image: iDRVGtV.png]

I simply used the given information (in black on the picture) to deduce the rest (in purple).

Now, as you can see, there is a problem with your question (pun intended).
It is impossible to have a total of 62 people liking Honda, when 42 only like that one, 20 like Volvo as well and 2 liked all three brands. That makes 64 people liking Honda =/= 62.

Unless the 20 liking Volvo implies that it is split in 18 and 2, but that would simply mean the question was terribly worded Tongue
If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to TRUC For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
(17th January 2018, 1:35 PM)TRUC Wrote: -snip-

Unless the 20 liking Volvo implies that it is split in 18 and 2, but that would simply mean the question was terribly worded Tongue

Unfortunately, the 20 is split into 18 and 2. Welcome to Asian maths, lol.

Apparently it's because H intersect V includes the part in the centre as well, because it's still part of both circles where they are intersecting.

Nonetheless, I actually got what I'm supposed to do in this question now. Thank you so much TRUC <3
"20 like Honda and Volvo", not "20 like Honda and Volvo, but not GM". The question is perfectly worded.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
(18th January 2018, 12:26 AM)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: "20 like Honda and Volvo", not "20 like Honda and Volvo, but not GM". The question is perfectly worded.

"2 like Honda, Volvo and GM,
3 like Volvo and GM,"

But here it is worded differently. That would imply only 1 person liking Volvo and GM only, and we have no information on where to place the remaining 2 persons that liked GM. Hence why I'm saying it was not worded correctly (you'd also have 17 liking Volvo only instead of 15 but whatever).
If you're reading this, it means I have not made a cool signature yet and you should be proud of yourself.
(18th January 2018, 11:32 AM)TRUC Wrote: "2 like Honda, Volvo and GM,
3 like Volvo and GM,"

But here it is worded differently. That would imply only 1 person liking Volvo and GM only, and we have no information on where to place the remaining 2 persons that liked GM. Hence why I'm saying it was not worded correctly (you'd also have 17 liking Volvo only instead of 15 but whatever).

The questions don't require you to accurately calculate all values, so that's not a problem per se. That being said, the only correct reading of your quote is that, indeed, there is only one person that likes Volvo and GM, but not Honda; anything else would be a mistake in the problem statement.