Simming and Macroing Megathread
Simming and Macroing Megathread
I have been a little hesitant to post this thread at all since this isn't the kind of a thing that I don't like seeing a ton of people do.. but I would rather this information be public than have an unfair advantage within pr2 and constantly be answering questions about it. This way newer players (and older players) that are curious about how suddenly the ranks are way higher than they used to be, have the information available to them.

What is simming / macroing?
Simming (like simulating) is artificially gaining experience. For pr2, this consists of playing a map using four accounts with exp hat for extra exp or kong hats for extra GP, automatically finishing the map after 2 minutes, then repeating. Macroing is the exact same thing, but without a human pressing the buttons (using a tool to repeat the task). This is why you see tons of people online, but only a few of them that are actually active.

History
Simming and macroing has been going on since the start of pr2, it is no new thing. It has however evolved substantially over time. Jiggmin originally didn't want simming or macroing to be allowed at all - which is why you may remember such barriers like "pick the cat" to stop macroers. Multiple players still managed to find exploits to surpass this and found new ways to earn exp like DM simming, campaign exploits, and obj simming. Macroing was frowned upon and a bannable offence for the majority of pr2's history - but is now allowed.

Should you sim / macro?
I guess that depends if you think it's worth it.. Does simming make you cool Eek ? Meh. Will it help you rank up and have better stats - definitely  Rolleyes
There are many other ways to earn exp and ranks nowadays with contests like Trial and Error, GGP Deluxe, and even Level of The Week. You can also fold up to 8 tokens now (100 mil FAH points) which is a good alternative especially if you have a good GPU. I myself have gained a substantial amount of exp from these contests and folding.
In my opinion, there is really no reason to macro/sim anymore, and it is very unlikely you will catch up in terms of ranks to the top macroers (Colind, AlphaZ, FDX3), but nonetheless it is an option.

Types of sims
There are a few different types of simming, each has its pros and cons:

1P sim
  • 1 Player will gain all the exp, others will get none
  • Fast, exactly 2 minutes

4P sim
  • 1st player will gain the most exp, 2nd player will gain decent exp, 3rd player will gain some exp, 4th player will earn hardly any exp
  • Slightly longer than 2 minutes

Objective sim
  • Each player will gain lots of exp, each player beats the other by hitting more finish blocks
  • Requires manual input at the 2-minute time stamp (quit on first -> sword on 2nd quit on second -> sword on third quit on third -> sword on 4th quit on 4th reset)
  • Video on how to obj sim

Theoretically you could sim with just a race, or with a deathmatch, or even in alien egg mode.. but these are the most common ones.

So whats the best? It depends what you're looking for. Just exp on one account? Setting up a macro that's less likely to break? Exp on multiple accounts? Up to you.

Where to sim?
I strongly suggest making your own "secret" map to sim/macro if you are thinking of doing so. This can easily be done by just saving a level, and you don't even need to save multiple maps anymore since there are no longer any restrictions on macroing. Be courteous and credit the original creator anyway if you choose to do this. If you are really nice maybe I'll even make one for you...

However, if you are lazy you may use the following maps (I deeply apologize if I just outed anyones only macro spot)
1P Sim: O or A 
4P Sim: h
Objective Sim: U or , or ?

Frown Oh no! There's no more simming websites with 4 pr2 screens, it's impossible to macro  Frown
  • Open 4 pr2 screens at whatever dimensions you want, or drag to the four corners to fill the entire screen
  • Download Bls1999's special executable with 5 pr2's that open all at once here, WARNING it may crash...

How to macro?
To macro, you'll first need a tool that can record your mouse and keyboard movements.  
These are my suggestions:
  • Windows: Tinytask (completely free)
  • Mac: MurGaa  (free trial)

Once you have installed one of these, simply record one sim starting and finishing with all players, stop the recording, and click repeat. This may take a few tries to get perfect and is unlikely you'll get one that doesn't break the very first time. 

****NEW MACRO METHOD****
"THE EPIC PLATFORM RACING 2 EXPERIENCE SIMULATOR"
@EpicMidget Has created an EPIC AutoHotkey script with a setup dialogue, happy hour locator, anti disconnect, and input isolation. This is essentially much more effective than the typical TinyTask, as you do not have to record the macro yourself, all of the inputs are scripted in! This essentially takes the coordinates of key presses to run a smooth macro.

The GitHub for the simulator can be found here: https://github.com/YaBoiTroi/pr2SIM
AutoHotkey download can be found here: https://www.autohotkey.com/

Please read the GitHub for more instructions, but the setup is pretty self explanatory.

I would highly recommend this before trying TinyTask, and if it does not work then you can go for the slow alternative.

Please feel free to let me know if I missed anything down below. We'll see if I decide to leave this thread up forever.
𝒮𝓉𝒶𝓎 𝒸𝑜𝑜𝓁,

𝒮𝓉𝓊𝓃𝓉
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Stunt For This Useful Post:
  • AlphaZ, Different, EpicMidget, FDX3, Master Raiden, Mia, Mulley, Panther
Wink