[Other] Flash Player: Intense rotation lag on modern processors
Posting this here in hopes that someone here has more information:

The process of drawing some forms of text rotation in Flash Player seem to cause intense lag on some modern processors, despite being perfectly fine on something older. So far all testing has been on Windows.

The problem seems to occur on processors with 16 or more logical processors (though this is not confirmed)

There has been some work over on PR3 to determine who it happens to, and thus a possible cause.
So far, we know the following:

It happens in several games
    This bug happens in both PR2 and PR3 from my testing. It also seems to happen in Learn to Fly 2, especially in the shop.

It is hardware dependent
    The problem has been confirmed to occur on Ryzen 2000 and 5000 series processors. It also occurs on Intel 12th gen processors, and there has been a report of it happening on an i9-9900K.

It is specific to certain forms of text
    I don't know what's different about player text and art layer text, but on both PR2 and PR3, the lag only occurs with player nametag text.

It is fixed by setting Flash Player to run on only one logical processor
    This is a terrible solution, but it does work. Unfortunately, this can cause lag in other places, at least in PR3. Works great for LTF2 though, it made it playable for me.

It is fixed by using Adobe Scout to profile the bug
    The bug does not happen when using a debug version of flash player and profiling it with Adobe Scout. The lag immediately returns when profiling ends.

Lag is independent of resolution and quality.
    It just happens. Changing the quality of resolution seems to have no effect on the problem at all.

CPU usage is lower than expected.
    Despite lagging, the reported CPU usage from something like Task Manager suggests that Flash Player uses less CPU while the lag is happening.

Hardware acceleration has nothing to do with it.
    The bug seems to happen regardless of whether hardware acceleration is enabled or not. The problem also seems to occur without regard for GPU vendor.

No specific cause of this problem is currently known.

The quickest way to test this problem that I know of is to play Learn to Fly 2 in flash player and get to the shop. If the rotation of the menu on the right causes intense lag, this problem probably affects you.

Below is a list of processors the problem is reported to occur on. OS is also shown if known. If a specific processor isn't known, then the processor series is listed.

AMD Ryzen 2700X, Windows 10
  AMD Ryzen 5700X, Windows 10
  AMD Ryzen 5900X
  Intel i7-12650H, Windows 11
  Intel 12th Gen CPU
  Intel i9-9900K

Below is a list of processors the problem is reported to not occur on. OS is shown if known

AMD A4-5300 APU, Windows 7
  Intel i5-8400T, Windows 10
  Intel i5-4200U
  AMD Ryzen 5 5600H, Windows 11

More tests would be greatly appreciated.
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Camer the Dragon, tadtad

Messages In This Thread
Flash Player: Intense rotation lag on modern processors - by ThePizzaEater1000 - 16th December 2022, 11:07 PM