Poll: Do you think that defunding the police is a good idea?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes because law enforcement fail to do their job, properly. They’re also part of the increase in crime rate, issue. Look what happened 4 years ago with George Floyd. It was disgusting!
20.00%
2 20.00%
No because then everyone would break the law thinking they can do whatever they want. Drunk drivers, murderers, Karens, and bank robbers would be out of control. Who’s going to stop them?
50.00%
5 50.00%
I think the police should be defunded for other reasons.
10.00%
1 10.00%
I don’t think the police should be defunded for other reasons.
0%
0 0%
I'm pretty neutral on this subject. It may or may not be a good idea to me, Idk.
20.00%
2 20.00%
Total 10 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

DEFUND THE POLICE 👮‍♂️🤔
[Image: S41SDmY.jpg]

What are your thoughts on defunding the police? I hear this all the time on the radio, news, and podcasts. Seems like a major controversial issue to me, seeing as there are SOME officers who abuse their power. Then there are SOME who actually care about protecting and serving citizens. HERE are 3 pros and cons on defunding the police. If police officers are part of the crime rate problem, then wouldn't that be a lack of training?

I would, however, like to draw your attention to "Police departments are historically oppressive and violent. Defunding them could reduce violence against people of color and overall crime." So basically, they're telling you that ALL police departments are historically oppressive and violent; therefore, defunding them would be the solution to our excessively high crime rate (especially people of color). This couldn't be any further from the truth. If that were the case, then everyone would be bickering about how ALL police departments should be defunded. So, to me, that statement is pretty ridiculous.

So let's say we defund the police...? Now what? Can you imagine the level of crime that we would reach if law enforcement weren't around? What if their plan to bring experts in, fails? You'd literally need to take advantage of the U.S. 2ND AMENDMENT to survive this level of chaos. Also, who wants large military tanks patrolling the streets? Idk how other countries operate, but over here, you can't tell me that you wouldn't use a firearm to stop the bad guys from doing some serious damage to you, especially if you call 911 and no one picks up the phone or comes to your rescue. Maybe I'm being a little biased here, Idk. What do you guys think? This is your chance to lay the pipe bomb on us and really voice your opinions.
Something I rarely see people bring up with this topic is that a lot of issue lies with the courts.
Courts need to be stricter and give harsher sentences when it is determined that someone in a position of power has done something illegal, they have power so they should use it responsibly and be given a more severe punishment if they do something wrong.
It's not gonna magically solve every issue people have, but it's something that really needs to happen to make the bad eggs more responsible.

In terms of this specific idea I am not too familiar on it either way, but what are they gonna get replaced by? If they're getting replaced by Police 2 then the same issue is gonna happen if the courts don't change as stated above.
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • Different
I think it's important to consider the media bias that happens around issues like this.
When a cop kills an innocent person, they make the news. But you never hear about the cops who do the right thing.

Chances are, most police officers are doing their jobs well. We just hear too much about the bad ones.
If this is the case, then defunding the police would do far more harm than good.

It reminds me of a meme I saw a while ago about I.T. Professionals:
When things are going well: "Everything is fine. What do we hire I.T. people for?"
When things aren't going well: "The network is down. What do we hire I.T. people for?"

In the case of police officers, it can seem like we don't need them because things are fine most of the time. But do you really want to find out what would happen if they got defunded?
[Image: q2GRKUL.png]
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Master Raiden For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Different, lalafox, Magniloquent
(1st February 2024, 9:13 PM)Master Raiden Wrote: I think it's important to consider the media bias that happens around issues like this.
When a cop kills an innocent person, they make the news. But you never hear about the cops who do the right thing.

Ye, you only typically hear of extremes and in this case that usually means bad eggs. (Especially since, at least my guess would be that, negative stories stick with ppl longer and get them thinking about the news site and clicking articles more than positive ones.)
á
(1st February 2024, 7:15 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Something I rarely see people bring up with this topic is that a lot of issue lies with the courts.
Courts need to be stricter and give harsher sentences when it is determined that someone in a position of power has done something illegal, they have power so they should use it responsibly and be given a more severe punishment if they do something wrong.
It's not gonna magically solve every issue people have, but it's something that really needs to happen to make the bad eggs more responsible.

In terms of this specific idea I am not too familiar on it either way, but what are they gonna get replaced by? If they're getting replaced by Police 2 then the same issue is gonna happen if the courts don't change as stated above.

Agreed. The court system has a lot of power, and I think what happens often is that when issues are brought to their attention, they either figure out a way to dismiss it entirely, or they side with the wrong people. Have you ever noticed that a lot of these criminals are being released from jail, early? These guys are murderers. I'm not saying for good behavior, but because they're doing this on purpose for a reason. They don't want regular law enforcement getting involved.

I think they're getting replaced by the military and FBI agents, so I've been told. Large tanks patrolling the streets would be an abysmal outcome.

(1st February 2024, 9:13 PM)Master Raiden Wrote: I think it's important to consider the media bias that happens around issues like this.

Chances are, most police officers are doing their jobs well. We just hear too much about the bad ones.
If this is the case, then defunding the police would do far more harm than good.

Ultimately, I think it's all about control. They want us to think that all cops are bad guys so that they can bring in FBI agents and military enforcement to replace them. Notice how the George Floyd incident made the news, quickly. A lot of factors come to mind when considering law enforcement. Lack of training is a big concern, not to mention 911 doesn't even show up on time. If they showed us a bunch of videos where the good cops of integrity were doing the right thing, then we wouldn't buy into some of this stuff as much.

This is what I've heard: Step 1: Give the criminals light punishments for major crimes, then let them out of jail a few days after. Step 2: Defund the police. Step 3: Take our guns away. It's just awful, man. I can't imagine all three of these things happening at all.
I'm not educated enough to have a strong opinion on this particular question, but I do agree with the sentiment that the criminal justice system in the USA bad. But I think it is working exactly as intended for the people it serves. I think it is a good idea for us to be challenging the way we police, what their job entails and how we train them. If experts believe that defunding the police is a good first step to solving some of the issues we have, I'm open to the idea.

But I ultimately think the entire movement is just our news media using fear mongering and buzz words to try to scare us into voting them into power. I think it is really hard to find good information about topics like these when it is all laced with propaganda. Which is why I'd look to experts, research, studies and the data. (If I cared enough to find out if it is a good idea.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Overbeing For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Magniloquent
(1st February 2024, 7:15 PM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Something I rarely see people bring up with this topic is that a lot of issue lies with the courts.

There's also the issue of qualified immunity which makes this significantly harder than it should be.
[Image: LLwQFov.png]
I say no, and all I say is look at NYC and its Assclown of a DA named Alvin Bragg. He arrests people who defend themselves and let the criminals out. A shame
[Image: GUEST_d27f3cc4-4884-4e3b-8c1c-a7d95aa028...&fmt=pjpeg]