Poll: Will you still come to JV after 30 years old?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Of course. I like it here.
100.00%
8 100.00%
I don't think so. At that age, it's time for me to move on.
0%
0 0%
Total 8 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

AGE 30
[Image: Z7LnJDr.gif]

If you don't do anything else, I want you all to enjoy your 20s because one day you guys are going to wake up and turn 30 years old. I wish I were in my 20s again. Peak level testosterone, more energy, etc. At age 30, your life is going to change, drastically. Your behaviors, decisions, and your body will begin to change. That precious youth that you guys are holding on too will eventually fade away into dust and ashes. At least you'll gain more wisdom, naturally. Most of the audience on here are Gen Z's below 30 years old. I guarantee you that at least half of you guys won't be here in about 3-7 years from now because you'll be over 30.

Tbh with you guys, I was going to stop coming here last year because I had turned 30 years old. But two people begged me to stay here. Now I'm 31 and you guys are making me feel old, honestly. Even the staff members are Gen Z's, like wtf?? I've thought about moving on from this site so many times because I'm getting too old for it, and you guys will probably do the same.

Every decade is different. Even @Jiggmin is getting too old to spend time on this site because he has a wife, now. The man is pushing 36 years old. Do you really think that he enjoys the same stuff as he did when he first created Platform Racing 2? No. Even if he does, it's not the same anymore which is why @bls1999 is here. In 5 years from now, he'll probably stop coming here too.

You guys forget that my generation (the millennials) had our prime days on this site (including PR2) back in 2008 - 2015. Ever since Gen Z turned 18, those days were over for us, and the torch was passed to them. Now most of us have grown up and moved on to bigger and better things.

It's really convenient to sit there and say, "Not me, man. I'll never do such a thing." Turn 30 and let's see if you're still here. I'm telling you guys, you're going to grow tired of coming to JV - a site that was originally created for kids with filtered content, restrictions, and kiddy games. Face it, this site was never meant for adult consumption over 30 years old, and one day you guys are going to see that as you get older. It's cute when you're in your teens and 20s, but you won't be enjoying that cuteness anymore at 30 years old. Anyways, enjoy your 20s.
I don’t quite understand why you’re so harsh on bls. This man took our childhood flash games that we supported and became a community together, he spent his own time and money to restore all of jv including the games as a project while in college. This whole “project” isn’t really a job, more like a hobby, so not much can be worked on as he has a life to live and bills to pay. I don’t have the facts to back up my claims, but I see him as a passionate community manager/developer willing to be there and make everyone’s ideas come to life

I’m 26 and I am not really that social and have bad adhd, so the older I get the less manageable it may get. I don’t take any medication for it just quite yet, so I can only assume others suffer from other personal stuff that may get them away from social instances for a long time. My adhd has a feeling that makes me login to this site every day because as a 16 year old for 5-7 ish years of refreshing jv it left as ptsd tendency to keep logging on and see the new posts or make a new thread with some ideas etc.

I just appreciate for where we are at and have became, without bls and eternal, this wouldn’t have been thing.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Addy For This Useful Post:
  • LCPD
(9th May 2024, 2:13 AM)Addy Wrote: I don’t quite understand why you’re so harsh on bls. This man took our childhood flash games that we supported and became a community together, he spent his own time and money to restore all of jv including the games as a project while in college. This whole “project” isn’t really a job, more like a hobby, so not much can be worked on as he has a life to live and bills to pay. I don’t have the facts to back up my claims, but I see him as a passionate community manager/developer willing to be there and make everyone’s ideas come to life

I'm not being harsh on him, I'm just telling the truth. The fact is, people change when they get older, and the things that they enjoyed doing in their 20s will soon begin to change a little bit in their 30s. I understand all the miraculous things that he's done for this community as a whole, so I'm not discounting any of the technical work that he's done. I'm just saying that people eventually reach a point at a certain age where they eventually lose that passion for what they used to love. When Jiggmin got older, he started a family and drifted away from this community for a long time.

(9th May 2024, 2:13 AM)Addy Wrote: I’m 26 and I am not really that social and have bad adhd, so the older I get the less manageable it may get. I don’t take any medication for it just quite yet, so I can only assume others suffer from other personal stuff that may get them away from social instances for a long time. My adhd has a feeling that makes me login to this site every day because as a 16 year old for 5-7 ish years of refreshing jv it left as ptsd tendency to keep logging on and see the new posts or make a new thread with some ideas etc.

I just appreciate for where we are at and have became, without bls and eternal, this wouldn’t have been thing.

I'm sorry to hear that you have "bad adhd" and I hope that one day you're able to find a long-term, effective solution for it. I understand where you're coming from, and perhaps this site is just a coping mechanism to deal with such problems. However, the point that I'm trying to emphasize is that people tend to view life differently at a certain age than the way they did before. As you get older, your brain continues to develop and goes through mental changes until you're 30. Once you reach that age, your brain slows down just a little bit. If you're still here at 30 years old, then that's fine. But, I think you'll grow tired of JV eventually and find a new coping mechanism by then.
I don't see myself leaving for the foreseeable future. Stop coming here at 30 seems just as arbitrary as 25. I'm a bit confused at you calling people above 30 "too old".
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • EpicMidget
I mean I've been on JV since I was 13 (and on PR2 since I was 9) and I'm a very different person to back then, so I don't see why I wouldn't be here at 30 unless something drastic happens
á
I already passed that benchmark and I didn't really come here until the pandemic because I was bored most of the time. I do pop my head here once in a while when I can, usually nothings happening and leave pretty quickly.
[Image: GUEST_d27f3cc4-4884-4e3b-8c1c-a7d95aa028...&fmt=pjpeg]
I think I'll be here for as long as there's a chance that Jiggmin might do stuff.

I feel you though. I'm not 30 yet (26 later this year though so I'm getting there), but I still feel old. It's funny to think that if I were in the 1600s I'd be over halfway through my life already (that's modern medicine for you I suppose).

That said, I dunno. I don't really pay any serious attention to the boomer zoomer millennial gen Z stuff. I do often feel a kind of gap between myself and people younger than me, but after thinking about it I'd be more inclined to call it a maturity gap rather than a generational gap. This gap exists with people older than me too; actually, there are younger people who I feel are more mature than I am, and plenty of older people who I feel are less mature than I am. The only time it really is a matter of age is when it's related to media like music, games, cartoons, etc. that I grew up with, but that sort of thing is so inconsequential.

On a separate note, one thing I try to do is to always remain open-minded; it's maybe still too early to really worry about this, but the last thing I ever want to be is a grumpy old guy who complains about how bad the youngsters are (because honestly, my belief is that society and especially younger people are only becoming more open-minded, more empathetic and more informed; this has also pretty obviously been the case throughout all of human history). I have no shame in fangirling over PR4, or in getting a kick out stuff like the backrooms or skibidi toilet or whatever other "zoomer brainrot" has popped up in the past few years.

To me, maturity is about one's personal philosophy, not about some arbitrary obligation to like or dislike "kiddy" stuff. In fact the belief in the latter is a strong sign of immaturity in my opinion; it communicates this intense sense of pretentiousness and insecurity, as if your self-worth as an adult hinges entirely on something as insignificant as the media you consume.

I think at the end of the day it's best to just not think too deeply about these things. Don't worry about what you or others feel like you should or shouldn't be doing at your age. Be honest with yourself and do what genuinely makes you happy. If you move away from JV, let it be for sincere reasons, not because you feel like you're too old for it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Delphinoid_ For This Useful Post:
  • David, Master Raiden, Northadox
meanwhile in the jv2 discord:
[Image: 6PiH2zZ.png]
[Image: LLwQFov.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lego-man945 For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, EpicMidget
People of all ages enjoy all sorts of things. If you enjoy being part of a community at 20, you might feel like you enjoy being part of that same community at 30. When you get bored and want to move on is ultimately up to you. It doesn't specifically come with age. Not everyone reaches the age of 8 years old and thinks "man, toys are boring". That sort of thing.

This applies to game development as well, which you touched on. There's people in the gaming industry that have worked on games their whole life and don't plan on stopping. Same goes for music, film, etc. It's a hobby that they love.
Dangevin
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dangevin For This Useful Post:
  • Addy, Ashley766, LCPD