Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024
I noticed @Different made a thread about this but I'm posting this anyway as I had it mostly complete before I saw that and there's more information here

A total solar eclipse will cross Mexico, the United States, and Canada on April 8th, 2024. Are you going to see it? Note that outside totality you need to use solar eclipse glasses, even when the Sun is 99.99% covered you still have to use them as even 0.01% or less of the Sun shining through can damage your eyes even if it's a fast glance. When totality does happen, take your glasses off to look at totality but note how long totality lasts where you are so you can put your solar eclipse glasses back on or look away before totality ends.

If you're unfamiliar, a total solar eclipse is when the Moon completely blocks out the Sun within a path called the path of totality. Totality lasts longer the closer to the center of the path of totality you are and for this one the longest time of totality will be near Torreón, Mexico as noted below (4 minutes 28 seconds). Outside this path you will only see a partial solar eclipse and if you're far enough away you won't be able to see an eclipse at all.

From https://science.nasa.gov/eclipses/future...-2024/faq/ - "The longest duration of totality is 4 minutes, 28 seconds, near Torreón, Mexico. Most places along the centerline (path of totality) will see a totality duration between 3.5 and 4 minutes."

A total solar eclipse is the most beautiful type of eclipse you can see, some people even say it's life changing. If you have the chance to see this one (or any in the future) you definitely should. You can use this site to see where it's visible from, as well as check your area for the eclipse times, how long it will last, and how it will look (you can pinpoint exactly where you are): https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/solar/2024-april-8 (you can also use that site to check for other future eclipses, which includes all types of solar and lunar eclipses, as well as look at past ones)

A map of where the total solar eclipse and surrounding partial solar eclipse is visible (use site above for an interactive map so you can zoom in and see more detail):
[Image: irtr4Ll.png]
Credit: https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8
[Image: eclipse_map_2024_QR_1920.png]
Credit: https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/5123/

Note that totality is way different than 99% of the Sun being covered. I saw a total solar eclipse in 2017 and it's still bright outside at 99% coverage (one description I've seen is that it looks like a hazy day at 99%). When totality does hit there's a brilliant aura around the Moon, it's incredibly beautiful to see. The temperature instantly gets cooler when totality hits, and if you're high enough you can see the landscape in the distance go dark before totality hits your spot. During totality it's dark enough to see planets and stars in the sky, it's not night time dark but it's somewhere around twilight. 

Personally I've already traveled to Texas to see this one, my family here already lives in the path of totality but we're hoping to travel to the center of the path of totality to maximize the length of totality we see. The weather isn't looking good however, but there's still a chance we'll get to see totality without it being covered by clouds (if it is covered by clouds during totality it'll still be a cool experience).

Lastly, note that it looks much better seeing it in person than what you see in photos. With that said, here are some images of the August 21st, 2017 total solar eclipse to give an idea of how it looks.
[Image: 36676702366_716cdbeddc_o.jpg]
Credit: NASA/Aubrey Gemignani (image found on https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12704/)
[Image: IMG_3656.jpg]
Credit: NASA/Gopalswamy (image found on https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12704/)
[Image: iss052e056225.jpg]
Credit: NASA (image found on https://svs.gsfc.nasa.gov/12704/)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Different, EpicMidget
@David I'm gonna leave this thread to you, bossman. It seems as though you've already taken the initiative by making a tremendous effort to conduct this thread after doing your research. I am curious to know if you believe in the video below or not. It seems like we're having some strange, supernatural phenomenons happening on 04/08 with this Solar Eclipse. Sorry I had to delete the original thread because it didn't make any sense, especially since you've already took your time to make this one.

The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • David
I saw the one in 2017 as I was close to the totality path, so I am okay with missing out on this one.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • David
I missed out on the one in 2017 because it was super cloudy...gonna make an effort for the one Monday! I believe the weather will hold up
Big Brother Council is ALWAYS watching
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Image: rApGaCt.png]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Resarekt For This Useful Post:
  • David
Flew down to Texas to see this one since seeing the one in 2017 was life changing. Awesome post
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to EpicMidget For This Useful Post:
  • David
I am in a 99% area, so probably just going to walk outside and see that (of course, with eye protection). What I was told from my friend that saw 100% totality in 2017 was the eclipse was cool... the travel back home was atrocious.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • David
(6th April 2024, 9:51 PM)Different Wrote: @David I'm gonna leave this thread to you, bossman. It seems as though you've already taken the initiative by making a tremendous effort to conduct this thread after doing your research. I am curious to know if you believe in the video below or not. It seems like we're having some strange, supernatural phenomenons happening on 04/08 with this Solar Eclipse. Sorry I had to delete the original thread because it didn't make any sense, especially since you've already took your time to make this one.

I don't believe the eclipse will cause an earthquake, if there is an earthquake it'd be purely coincidental. There's no actual science to back up the claim they can cause earthquakes from what I understand

(7th April 2024, 6:56 PM)Uptight 534 Wrote: I am in a 99% area, so probably just going to walk outside and see that (of course, with eye protection). What I was told from my friend that saw 100% totality in 2017 was the eclipse was cool... the travel back home was atrocious.

I implore you to travel to the path of totality if possible, there is a massive difference between 99% and totality. 99% is still bright outside, it isn't much different than a regular day, whereas it gets dark enough to see planets and stars in the sky during totality (its somewhere around twilight level of darkness) and the eclipse itself during totality is very beautiful. Also, photos don't capture the full beauty of how it looks in person, it's a massive difference as well

You can place a marker on the map here and see the duration of totality for that spot https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/map/2024-april-8 note that near the edge of the path of totality it only last seconds so you want to go a good amount inside the path

If you do go, just plan a route and alternative routes in advance before leaving and check the traffic on Google Maps or the like

(6th April 2024, 9:55 PM)Mia Wrote: I saw the one in 2017 as I was close to the totality path, so I am okay with missing out on this one.

Glad you got to see that one, definitely something I think everyone should see at least once in their life. I plan to see as many as possible throughout my life which will means I'll have to do a lot of traveling but it's also a great opportunity to see the world and experience other cultures (got lots of saving up to do for that though lol)
It’s super cloudy and prob won’t see the sun for this one
I can't see anything over here. I'm only getting the partial effects. If anybody is reading this, and you do get a chance to see the full version of it, drop a pic on here, please.
picture (Not a closeup, I couldn't get any good closeup photos)
[Image: rN2bkuZ.jpg]
i failed the mario twitter challenge
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ThePizzaEater1000 For This Useful Post:
  • David, Different, Uptight 534
Here's photos I took with my phone, I used solar eclipse glasses over my phones camera to capture the before/after photos of totality as the Sun can damage your camera if the Sun's light goes straight into it, and you wouldn't see the eclipse anyway as there'd be too much light (you can capture it during certain cloud cover I think but it could still damage your camera)

Before TotalityTotality (I believe it's Venus you see to the bottom right)
[Image: XOj9whf.jpeg]
[Image: I1C17Ay.jpeg]After TotalitySneak peak of some awesome footage I caught on my old Sony Handycam More photos here: https://imgur.com/a/dINJRBi
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Different, ThePizzaEater1000, Uptight 534
Just outside the zone but it was an amazing sight and it did darken the area. the next eclipse that will occur for me will happen in 2079.
[Image: GUEST_d27f3cc4-4884-4e3b-8c1c-a7d95aa028...&fmt=pjpeg]