Poll: How do you respond to employers refusing to hire Gen Z’s?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
So what? I’m still going to suck it up and fill out job applications online.
0%
0 0%
Tell them to kiss my ass and go job hunting anyway.
50.00%
1 50.00%
I’m a Gen Z, and I got hired. So the old heads need to shut up and sit down some where.
0%
0 0%
Throwing my resume into the garbage because of my age is pathetic. I’ll keep looking for a job until someone appreciates me.
0%
0 0%
I find that highly offensive and absurd. You shouldn’t place stereotypical traits about a generation based on their age alone. Age is just a number.
0%
0 0%
I agree with some viewpoints from the article, and I also disagree with some viewpoints.
50.00%
1 50.00%
I can see why Gen Z’s aren’t getting hired. They’re lazy bums who don’t want to work.
0%
0 0%
These Gen Z kids are lost, bro. Personally, I wouldn’t hire them either.
0%
0 0%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

🚩GEN Z WORKERS 🚩
[Image: gbR3WW6.jpeg]

I came across an interesting article talking about how employers refuse to hire Gen Z candidates from ages 12-27 (1997-2012). There are many more out there, but I figured I'd choose this one and gather you guys' thoughts and perspectives on this because most of you are Gen Zs. Do you find this article offensive, stereotypical, discriminatory, or what?

Mainly, they argue that Gen Z's are lackadaisical job drifters who demand more money than what they're qualified for. AGE seems to be a large factor here, and to me, it seems like they're making a determination about you guys potentially having a poor work-ethic and lack of experience based on your AGE alone. So basically, the skills and experience on your resume could be really impressive but will end up being overlooked and thrown into the trash based on your AGE alone.

While some employers disagree, others do not.

Key points from the article:

🚩"By scrutinizing education and work history timelines, employers may inadvertently introduce bias based on age, rather than focusing on the candidate's qualifications and suitability for the role."

🚩"Gen Zers, who are between the ages of 12 and 27, often don't have many ways around this obstacle."

🚩"Nearly 80 percent of hiring managers said they worried about Gen Z's lack of experience as a younger generation."

🚩"58 percent were worried about the generation's unprofessional attitude, and 63 percent expressed concern that they were known to job hop."

🚩"In the survey of 1,000 hiring managers, 42 percent admitted to considering age when reviewing applications. On both sides of the equation, being Gen Z or being a senior could cause your resume to be thrown into the trash."

So yeah, I'd love to hear what you guys (Gen Z's) think about this article because it seems to drive a large wedge between your chances of getting hired by employers (who are probably old heads). A lot of the old heads seem to think that people under 30 are just kids who have bad attitudes and don't want to work because they're lackadaisical job drifters. If you guys find that offensive, speak up and tell us why.

Don't hold anything back, and please don't shoot the messenger here. I'm just telling you all what I know and what I hear often. I'm going to listen to what you guys have to say and try to remain unbiased here.
Boomers generally have a different mindset when it comes to work. They are hardworking and see work and profession as the main focus and in life. Gen Z doesn't have that view on work.

Gen Z prioritize work-life balance
Gen Z prefers flexibility and reliance on digitalism
Social media influences the jobs there are out there such as influencer, freelancing, dropshipping etc. other than traditional professions.
Gen Z has seen what work and economy does to people, loan, mortgage and feeling like you're in a hamster wheel. They don't want the 9-5 life.

Gen Z has new criteria for work and employers may not find that attractive. But it is a sign that times are changing.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Levente77 For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ bls1999, Different, Magniloquent, Northadox
(1st May 2024, 5:26 AM)Levente77 Wrote: Boomers generally have a different mindset when it comes to work. They are hardworking and see work and profession as the main focus and in life. Gen Z doesn't have that view on work.

Gen Z prioritize work-life balance
Gen Z prefers flexibility and reliance on digitalism
Social media influences the jobs there are out there such as influencer, freelancing, dropshipping etc. other than traditional professions.
Gen Z has seen what work and economy does to people, loan, mortgage and feeling like you're in a hamster wheel. They don't want the 9-5 life.

Gen Z has new criteria for work and employers may not find that attractive. But it is a sign that times are changing.

Interesting viewpoints. To me, it seems like the most noteworthy thing to address is that "they don't want the 9-5 life." I don't think anybody does to be honest with you. Technology has certainly made it easier to apply for jobs, communicate with people, and give you the flexibility to work from home in your pajamas.

Baby boomers are quick to paint you guys in a negative corner with this ideological narrative that you must be a slave android working the 9-5 hustle.
This has next to nothing to do with this specific generation. If you look back at old newspapers, you'll see stuff like this printed at nearly every time in history. "Kids these days" or "back in my day" is a trope for a reason. This article doesn't offend me because I understand that they just have a low journalistic standard and are printing what is going to sell. It is supply and demand.

I see it as a means of control and scapegoating. People in power have an interest in making sure that the working class doesn't turn on them, so they are constantly offering alternatives for your problems. If they can get the working class to split and feud with itself, they don't have to worry as much about them organizing and they can take more advantage of them.

They want us clashing in generational divides, political divides, worried about immigrants and other countries. They want us worried about gay people, trans people, Mexican people and black people, China and Russia.

And so articles like this get made. To either plant the idea or to continue to reinforce the idea. "Young people don't deserve more pay or better benefits because they aren't good hard workers." "You didn't have all of these benefits back when you were young, so why should kids today get them?". If people in power can convince older generations that young workers today are undeserving of labor changes like higher pay and better benefits, then things are less likely to change and that is good for people in power.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Overbeing For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ Camer the Dragon, Delphinoid_, Different, Magniloquent
In terms of the article and points, I agree with @Overbeing and that I have seen copy and pasting with previous generations. I have seen those points made against us Millennials not too long ago.

As someone who has dealt with the "Zoomer" as co-workers and customers. I will note the things I have observed with Zoomers.

*I have noticed that their socially ineptitude. I have encountered a lot of awkward situations in which I would call up a customer and they would come to my desk and stand their mute. I am not a mind reader and I need something to continue their transaction, 9 out 10 times, I have found them just look towards their parents for help. This can also be applied in situations where they cannot read the room and behave in a manner that is not helpful to the objective, such as disrespecting executive members. I could say that this could boil down to the iPad generation and the pandemic did not help the situation.

*Easily influenced by social media and their bubble. This one is kind of troubling as they tend to believe whatever is posted in social media or in other words just take these posts at face value with little to no independent research. It is wild the amount of claims that go viral can be easily debunked or missing context.

*Sensibilities. This is something I am working on with my Zoomer coworkers. This is something that could be considered coddling them as you have to phrase things in certain ways so they don't become offended or have a break down. Even in the process of writing them up, I usually have someone else with me just in case things head south. I can say this is probably due to helicopter parenting and always having to baby them. My friend recently interviewed an applicant who brought their parents to the interview. It is not a good look.

I just want to say I do not have ill will towards the Zoomers, its part of growing up and finding their way in the world we live in. When I entered the work force, is completely different to them entering the work force.

Lastly, discriminating on the basis on age is still ILLEGAL on Federal and State Levels. (Though the caveat is that young age discrimination is less of a priority for the agencies than discrimination of older workers).
[Image: GUEST_d27f3cc4-4884-4e3b-8c1c-a7d95aa028...&fmt=pjpeg]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to LCPD For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ Different
(1st May 2024, 4:36 PM)LCPD Wrote: As someone who has dealt with the "Zoomer" as co-workers and customers. I will note the things I have observed with Zoomers.

*Easily influenced by social media and their bubble. This one is kind of troubling as they tend to believe whatever is posted in social media or in other words just take these posts at face value with little to no independent research. It is wild the amount of claims that go viral can be easily debunked or missing context.

Is this not the case for all generations?
A lot of older people just share stuff around Facebook and such without checking first as well as younger people.
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  â€¢ Different
(1st May 2024, 3:57 PM)Overbeing Wrote: I see it as a means of control and scapegoating. People in power have an interest in making sure that the working class doesn't turn on them, so they are constantly offering alternatives for your problems. If they can get the working class to split and feud with itself, they don't have to worry as much about them organizing and they can take more advantage of them.

They want us clashing in generational divides, political divides, worried about immigrants and other countries. They want us worried about gay people, trans people, Mexican people and black people, China and Russia.

And so articles like this get made. To either plant the idea or to continue to reinforce the idea. "Young people don't deserve more pay or better benefits because they aren't good hard workers." "You didn't have all of these benefits back when you were young, so why should kids today get them?". If people in power can convince older generations that young workers today are undeserving of labor changes like higher pay and better benefits, then things are less likely to change and that is good for people in power.

Interesting viewpoints. I think what's lost in a lot of generations is that they don't do their research and gather second opinions. If I notice that X is talking about so and so, I'm going to do my research and look for legitimate facts and statistics that states this. Otherwise, I might be a little skeptical to adopt information that I read online. It's all a chess game that they've successfully mastered amongst the people.

So yeah, I can see where the elites use political issues as a distraction to incite us all to rage over something so that we don't see what they're doing behind closed doors.

(1st May 2024, 4:36 PM)LCPD Wrote: *I have noticed that their socially ineptitude. I have encountered a lot of awkward situations in which I would call up a customer and they would come to my desk and stand their mute. I am not a mind reader and I need something to continue their transaction, 9 out 10 times, I have found them just look towards their parents for help. This can also be applied in situations where they cannot read the room and behave in a manner that is not helpful to the objective, such as disrespecting executive members. I could say that this could boil down to the iPad generation and the pandemic did not help the situation.

*Sensibilities. This is something I am working on with my Zoomer coworkers. This is something that could be considered coddling them as you have to phrase things in certain ways so they don't become offended or have a break down. Even in the process of writing them up, I usually have someone else with me just in case things head south. I can say this is probably due to helicopter parenting and always having to baby them. My friend recently interviewed an applicant who brought their parents to the interview. It is not a good look.
  • Interesting viewpoints. All these issues sound like symptoms to the root problem of parenting. Most Gen Z kids were raised by millennials and late Gen Xers who've clearly failed to raise them properly. If I notice that someone is "socially inept", then I see it as a symptom to a much more bigger problem that led them astray in the real world. I've heard many times where people will say that the Gen Z generation is lost and there's basically no hope for them. It starts at home - Parents behave lackadaisically towards parenting their children, so as a result, you get disrespectful kids.
  • Mostly Gen Z kids grew up with social media, where as other generations did not. The millennials kind of did if you were a child from the early 90s like me. I don't want to sound stereotypical because some of them are smart and competent enough to think for themselves. I hear it all the time where social media raises these kids instead of the actual parents.
  • Exactly what I was thinking. The symptoms always start at home based on the things that they're exposed to. I think the terminology is called "snowflake". This is why they've made a big controversial-deal about the "R" word, which just sounds illogical.

(2nd May 2024, 7:17 AM)Camer the Dragon Wrote: Is this not the case for all generations?

I think it started with the Millennials first, and then the Gen Z's picked it up and made it worse.
(2nd May 2024, 8:57 AM)Different Wrote: I think it started with the Millennials first, and then the Gen Z's picked it up and made it worse.

I mean, people in Gen X and people who are Baby Boomers also do so
á