Let's get this thread to a million pages!
(16th August 2023, 8:23 AM)Mia Wrote: Here's my favorite one

Warning: swears

Yeah that one was a classic forsho. But, you see, that's the biggest difference between the rap game back then versus today. Back then, the lyrics were smooth, the flow was consistent, you could actually understand what they were saying, they were rapping about something, and the tempo and instrumental was creative.

Nowadays, we get this mumble rap, bullshit garbage that I can't stomach. Mumble rap killed hip hop/rap.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Different For This Useful Post:
  • Mia
@Mia Snoop Dogg said it best

(16th August 2023, 8:38 AM)Different Wrote: Yeah that one was a classic forsho. But, you see, that's the biggest difference between the rap game back then versus today. Back then, the lyrics were smooth, the flow was consistent, you could actually understand what they were saying, they were rapping about something, and the tempo and instrumental was creative.

Nowadays, we get this mumble rap, bullshit garbage that I can't stomach. Mumble rap killed hip hop/rap.

Modern rap is so bad, I don't even bother. Modern music in general, imo. At least the stuff that's popular. Now you have to do some digging to find the good modern music.
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Different
(16th August 2023, 8:47 AM)Mia Wrote: Modern rap is so bad, I don't even bother. Modern music in general, imo. At least the stuff that's popular. Now you have to do some digging to find the good modern music.

Exactly, and if you'll notice... they're having to do a lot of sampling from songs back from the 80s, 70s, and 60s because honestly, I don't think they can come up with something that's completely original without stepping on someone else's material.
If you ever get 20 spare minutes, Thoughty2 did a great video on it
  • Different
(16th August 2023, 8:53 AM)Mia Wrote: If you ever get 20 spare minutes, Thoughty2 did a great video on it

Bro, I'm ten minutes in, and already I've learned a lot. This explains why people are so interested in today's modern music, vs. analyzing its entirety as a whole. The phrase "Millennial Whoop" explains why you hear so many songs sounding relatively identical to each other because of its familiarity. This is nothing more than subconscious programming to get us to accept songs that have depreciated over the last 2 decades.

Also, he's right... we do need to dig deep to actually find someone who's truly talented in writing full songs, lyrics, and standalone instrumentals. People need to shift their attention spans away from "familiarity" and focus on complete songs. Songs shouldn't always have to be about instantaneously hooking you in because you're missing out on a lot. People always want something that's simple, but simple is too modern and stale, nowadays.

Anyways, I'm going to continue the video, now.
  • Mia
I wish we could go back to using actual instruments and vocals rather than synthesizers and autotune.
Modern chart topping music just feels soulless now
I've got a headache so I'm probably gonna head off to bed
@Mia Ok, I just finished the rest of the video, now.

So, let's talk about the loudness wars, shall we. Man, he really hit a home run with this one. As someone who graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Audio Production, I can honestly say that Dynamic Range Compression has impacted a lot of modern songs on a wider scale nowadays because it strips away the juiciness of the songs' originality. Yes, you'll lose that crunchy, thumpiness of the bass and sizzling snare drums and hi hats, but most people don't care because it's loud just the way they wanted it. 12:45 was the perfect example of this. Sorry to geek out on you a little bit.

I call this the Millennial Range Compression (MRC), where you're appeasing modern audience with LOUD MUSIC so that they can buy your music. This is why so many pop songs like Taylor Swift are so popular because it's loud af. No one tours or buys records from the store anymore because we have apps like Spotify and iTunes. There's nothing wrong with those apps, but if you'll notice that they're gradually slipping AI in the music industry, making rappers AI generated.

-----

Also, why does every singer have to be so attractive nowadays? It's because they don't care about talent anymore... it's all about subconscious programming, making money quickly, and shoving a pretty face down your throat (who probably can't sing a day in her life without AUTOTUNE). They want to convince you that ugliness has no place in modern music, today. $3m spent just to brainwash us, is insane.

This hits hard on the "Mere-exposure effect" because our preferences for modern music have grown strong like seeds being planted into the ground, eventually turning into trees.

Thanks for sharing this with me, bro. I've truly learned a lot.
  • Mia
Alright, I will read your response first
Oh gosh, I hope AI music gets banned. We already have concerts ruined with backing track vocals. People literally buying tickets for a pretty face.
  • Different
(16th August 2023, 9:24 AM)Mia Wrote: I wish we could go back to using actual instruments and vocals rather than synthesizers and autotune.

Synths aren't so bad. Autotune is overrated, though. A real musician can tell the difference between live instruments versus AI generated.
Synths have their place, I agree. But the problem is replacing every live instrument with a synth.
(16th August 2023, 9:54 AM)Mia Wrote: Oh gosh, I hope AI music gets banned. We already have concerts ruined with backing tracks. People literally buying tickets for a pretty face.

Exactly. Taylor Swift, Arianna Grande, Katy Perry, and Nikki Minaj probably have Autotune correcting all their notes. I'd like to hear what their voices sound like, raw, without the handy work of the mixing & mastering engineers.
Yeah, it seems like they've stopped using acoustic instruments, nowadays. I can name a ton of instruments that they could use to replace synths. But, the trap that we've fallen for is AI, AI girls that men are sleeping with, and AI rapper/singer voices. Millennials have paved the way, and now gen z's are making their mark.
When every drum machine note, synth note, autotuned vocal, etc. sounds "perfect", it sounds soulless to me.
Yes, because it's not human anymore. DAWs' (since the 90s) have virtually grown popular. Nothing wrong with that, but most people don't record their music live, anymore.

I found THIS great website that covers the majority of acoustic instruments that made music genuinely popular back in the day.
  • Mia
Here's my favorite pop song of all time:

Someone playing a harp, 3 people playing guitar, someone playing bass, someone playing an organ, someone playing a piano, someone playing percussion, and 2 people on drums. That's not even mentioning the amazing harmonies. No autotune, no synths, no hot chicks to lure people in.
Ok I'm going to bed lol

I'll chat more after some rest