Poll: Post build pics (eventually) here or in a new thread?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
This thread!
0%
0 0%
New thread!
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Debating a Budget Build
(29th June 2018, 5:53 AM)__ Wrote: Does it have to be a Mini ITX system? You can build a much better mid tower system at a much better price.

(29th June 2018, 2:41 PM)David Wrote: You've got an overclockable CPU with a motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking.  If you want to overclock I'd get a B360/Z370 motherboard instead, but if you want to stick with that motherboard I'd spend the $10 more and get a i5 8400 (which can't be overclocked) or even better just save the money and get a i3 8100 which is plenty for that graphics card and is essentially equal to a i5 7400.

If you've got a Windows 7/8/8.1 key lying around then you don't need to buy windows and you can just use that key to activate windows. Otherwise Windows 10 can be bought for much cheaper, it's kind of shady but it beats spending $100 for Windows. You can head to Kinguin or SCDKey to get a Windows 10 key which will cost you around $15-$30. You can get them for around $5 on eBay but that's even more shady

I'd get a different case like the Thermaltake Core V1 which should have better airflow although you'd have to get a shorter CPU cooler in that case (although personally when it comes to ITX I'd wan't an even smaller case like the SilverStone ML08B-H but of course you need small PSU's for cases of that size). But really you should be looking at MATX or ATX, it'll be much easier to build in which is great since this will be your first desktop and you have a lot more options in those sizes and they'll offer better airflow since it wont be so crammed and you'll save a tiny bit of money (like $20 or so) since itx motherboards are a bit more expensive

Everything else seems fine for the most part, could probably do a little cheaper but I'd mainly focus on what I've already said

(29th June 2018, 4:56 PM)Legend Wrote: If you want to go the M-ITX route you're going to have clearance issues. You'll likely need an SFX power supply and a low profile cpu cooler. The easy fix to this would be to just get a larger case.

Here is a list I put together for you: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwcW9J

For an extra $4 you're getting a 6C/12T processor instead of a 4C/4T and a better graphics card.

To all three of you: I more-or-less decided that the mini-ITX wouldn't be the way to go, and I thank y'all for that. I also got recommendations from friends on some Discord servers I'm in, and I ultimately came up with this. It's ATX, and honestly it might be a bit more than just a one-to-two year stepping stone for only $300 more, and I might even be able to slash more with a cheaper Win10 copy (thanks David for that one). Basically everything got a bump up, and I know this will be enough for me until I likely move out at the end of college. Still debating between the i5-8600K and the i3-8350K, but I may even see about how much money I have when I finally do buy and (if I have enough) may look at the i7-8700K -- just to go all-out. I don't know if "Budget Build" is really proper terminology anymore, considering I'm a shade over USD$1,200 now, but I'd be happy with what I have -- unless, of course, you guys can come up with better ways to save.

Messages In This Thread
Debating a Budget Build - by Fresh Cookies - 29th June 2018, 2:29 AM
RE: Debating a Budget Build - by __ - 29th June 2018, 5:53 AM
RE: Debating a Budget Build - by Legend - 29th June 2018, 4:56 PM