Poll: Post build pics (eventually) here or in a new thread?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
This thread!
0%
0 0%
New thread!
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Debating a Budget Build
Eek 
Planned Budget Build, which has links to all of the products listed below

Quote:(All prices listed from here-down are in USD and are from either Newegg or Amazon, I will add a (N) or an (A) to signify which of these the cheaper price is from, and, as I have Prime, all Amazon pieces have zero shipping/handling! Big Grin )

Performance-Effecting Specs:

• (A) CPU: Intel - Core i3-8350K 4GHz Quad-Core Processor - $168.49 (+$0.00 s/h) - $168.49
  • (A) RAM: ADATA - XPG GAMMIX D10 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2666 Memory - $159.99 (+$0.00 s/h) - $159.99
  • (A) Graphics: MSI - GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Video Card - $179.99 (+$0.00 s/h) - $179.99
Other Important Items:
  • (A) CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler - $29.99 (+$0.00 s/h) - $29.99
  • (N) Motherboard: ASRock - H370M-ITX/ac Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard - $106.05 (+$0.99 s/h) - $107.04
  • (A) Storage: Crucial - MX500 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive - $69.99 (+$0.00 s/h) - $69.99
  • (A) Hitachi - Ultrastar 7K3000 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive - $53.88 (+$0.00 s/h) - $53.88
  • (A) Case: RAIJINTEK - Metis Plus (Black) Mini ITX Tower Case - $66.66 (+$0.00 s/h) - $66.66
  • (N) Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply - $54.90 (+$0.00) - $54.90
  • (A) Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit - $99.99 (+$0.00 s/h) - $99.99

Total Wattage: 247W

Total Cost (before any extra build-day supplies*): $989.93 (+0.99 total s/h) - $990.92

*Including potential pick-ups such as an extra fan, thermal compounds, etc.

Currently Owned Items:
  • Audio: Harman/Kardon CN-04N567-48220 (literally a couple speakers I found downstairs, works great once I've cleaned the cobwebs off) - can be found on eBay in the $20 range
  • Monitor: Acer S220HQL Monitor (1920x1080 60Hz) - found around $100
  • Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech MK320 (Keyboard: K330/Mouse: M215) - found in the $20 range
  • Western Digital 1TB My Passport - approx. $60

I guess I'm asking for advice. This is me cost-scraping as much as I want to (I was originally looking up near the $1,800 range) but I want to know if there's any ways I can push the price down further, whether it be a cheaper way of getting the Win10 OS or perhaps a different config that'd enable me to go cheaper. This'll be my first desktop and I'm a bit nervous about it, to be honest, but at worst this'll end up being a serviceable mini-PC with upgrade ability, and at best this is a stepping stone to a better PC. Thoughts and advice welcome -- should this be built (hopefully I'll have enough saved up by the end of the year to outright buy this or get family to fill in the gaps to have it as a birthday present), I may or may not put it in a separate thread. If anything, point me to a site where I could get advice if none is available. Tongue

Hopefully this'll bring me back up towards the top of the folding food-chain soon enough! Might be time for me to make a return... Wink
Does it have to be a Mini ITX system? You can build a much better mid tower system at a much better price.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to __ For This Useful Post:
  • Fresh Cookies
If you want to go the M-ITX route you're going to have clearance issues. You'll likely need an SFX power supply and a low profile cpu cooler. The easy fix to this would be to just get a larger case.

Here is a list I put together for you: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwcW9J

For an extra $4 you're getting a 6C/12T processor instead of a 4C/4T and a better graphics card.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Legend For This Useful Post:
  • Fresh Cookies, __
(29th June 2018, 5:53 AM)__ Wrote: Does it have to be a Mini ITX system? You can build a much better mid tower system at a much better price.

(29th June 2018, 2:41 PM)David Wrote: You've got an overclockable CPU with a motherboard that doesn't allow overclocking.  If you want to overclock I'd get a B360/Z370 motherboard instead, but if you want to stick with that motherboard I'd spend the $10 more and get a i5 8400 (which can't be overclocked) or even better just save the money and get a i3 8100 which is plenty for that graphics card and is essentially equal to a i5 7400.

If you've got a Windows 7/8/8.1 key lying around then you don't need to buy windows and you can just use that key to activate windows. Otherwise Windows 10 can be bought for much cheaper, it's kind of shady but it beats spending $100 for Windows. You can head to Kinguin or SCDKey to get a Windows 10 key which will cost you around $15-$30. You can get them for around $5 on eBay but that's even more shady

I'd get a different case like the Thermaltake Core V1 which should have better airflow although you'd have to get a shorter CPU cooler in that case (although personally when it comes to ITX I'd wan't an even smaller case like the SilverStone ML08B-H but of course you need small PSU's for cases of that size). But really you should be looking at MATX or ATX, it'll be much easier to build in which is great since this will be your first desktop and you have a lot more options in those sizes and they'll offer better airflow since it wont be so crammed and you'll save a tiny bit of money (like $20 or so) since itx motherboards are a bit more expensive

Everything else seems fine for the most part, could probably do a little cheaper but I'd mainly focus on what I've already said

(29th June 2018, 4:56 PM)Legend Wrote: If you want to go the M-ITX route you're going to have clearance issues. You'll likely need an SFX power supply and a low profile cpu cooler. The easy fix to this would be to just get a larger case.

Here is a list I put together for you: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/NwcW9J

For an extra $4 you're getting a 6C/12T processor instead of a 4C/4T and a better graphics card.

To all three of you: I more-or-less decided that the mini-ITX wouldn't be the way to go, and I thank y'all for that. I also got recommendations from friends on some Discord servers I'm in, and I ultimately came up with this. It's ATX, and honestly it might be a bit more than just a one-to-two year stepping stone for only $300 more, and I might even be able to slash more with a cheaper Win10 copy (thanks David for that one). Basically everything got a bump up, and I know this will be enough for me until I likely move out at the end of college. Still debating between the i5-8600K and the i3-8350K, but I may even see about how much money I have when I finally do buy and (if I have enough) may look at the i7-8700K -- just to go all-out. I don't know if "Budget Build" is really proper terminology anymore, considering I'm a shade over USD$1,200 now, but I'd be happy with what I have -- unless, of course, you guys can come up with better ways to save.
(29th June 2018, 6:34 PM)David Wrote: You should have looked at the case he picked, it states it fits an ATX PSU and has just enough clearance for that cooler

Thats not an extra $4, thats an extra $80 (but i'm guessing you meant an extra $40, which relies on all those rebates)

Also I'm not sure why you picked lower speed memory considering the other costs the same and especially because Ryzen loves faster memory

And why did you pick an inferior PSU? (sure the rebate would make it cost less, but rebates take a while, sometimes never even showing up) Yes it can output 80 more watts but 520 is still more than enough

I wouldn't consider the 8350k, you're better off with the ryzen 5 1600 at that price point like Legend suggested

Your new build looks great, but I would get a better case personally like the H500P Mesh, Fractal Design Meshify C TG, Lian Li PC-O11 Air (when it finally releases) or some others that are currently out and some yet to release so if you want more suggestions/options as far as cases go let me know. But if you're set on the S340, I'd suggest the S340 elite instead which has a tempered glass side panel and looks much more cool and allows you to show off your build better and give it more personality. Also you should try to color match best you can, on your list you have some white ram but I'd get red instead to match that GPU (although im guessing you are going for red and the white is just the default picture), also maybe a different motherboard to better color match but that is a good board you picked. But yeah overall good build

Yeah I know some of the parts aren't the best but I was trying to keep it as close to $1k as possible without going over. The extra $4 comment comes from the $990 price listed in the OP; $990 vs $994.