Open Source Contribution
Hello,

I would like to set up platform-racing-2-server locally in the hope that I will be able to contribute. If somebody could point me in the right direction, that would be helpful. I have cloned the project, however I use an MS stack usually so PHP is not something I'm overly familiar with.

I appreciate the advice.

Many thanks
[Image: sigimage.php?u=818553&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
jiggmin put some instructions here, but the command for the cron jobs (like Scheduled Tasks in windows) are not included in the repo (that i can see) so you'll need bls for that
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to oxy For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bazooka, bls1999
Like @oxy mentioned, you can use Docker to set up a server. The only files used for CRON jobs are in the /common/cron/ folder, although you prob won't need it if you're just going to be doing testing (as you can just run your PHP script from the command line if you've enabled that on windows).

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
ooga booga code and stuff
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tejs For This Useful Post:
  • bi3liu, gemj
Hi, All

Thank you for your replies, they're very much appreciated.

Hopefully I can get it up and running without too much trouble.

Thanks,

Oliver
(23rd April 2020, 3:40 PM)Oliver_K Wrote: Hi, All

Thank you for your replies, they're very much appreciated.

Hopefully I can get it up and running without too much trouble.

Thanks,

Oliver

Hi! Can you upload a video on the setup please when you can? Much appreciated ^^
(running windows 10)
(24th April 2020, 10:56 AM)Ashley766 Wrote: Hi! Can you upload a video on the setup please when you can? Much appreciated ^^
(running windows 10)

Hi Ashley766,

Apologies for the late reply. I will certainly do the best that I can once we're up and running.

The first issue I encountered was regarding Windows 10 Home edition. If you're running Windows 10 Home, you won't be able to install Docker as it requires hyper-v to run. I have read that it can be done, but with some difficulty. I opted to upgrade to Pro but that's your call and potentially the first hurdle. It's worth noting that if you're running a Unix system, this won't be an issue.

Many thanks,
Oliver.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Oliver_K For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766
(29th April 2020, 10:11 AM)Oliver_K Wrote: Hi Ashley766,

It's worth noting that if you're running a Unix system, this won't be an issue.

Many thanks,
Oliver.

Thanks for the response! I'll try to find out how to boot Linux from my windows 10 PC although I heard it's possible through a USB drive..
(29th April 2020, 10:29 AM)Ashley766 Wrote: Thanks for the response! I'll try to find out how to boot Linux from my windows 10 PC although I heard it's possible through a USB drive..

You can boot Linux from a flash drive but it won't save anything unless you give it persistence (or you could install Linux to the flash drive), I wouldn't recommend this though as flash drives are typically quite slow and probably won't last long this way. If by usb drive you meant external hard drive connected over USB then that should be fine

Another option is partitioning part of your internal drive to install Linux on which would then be whats called dual booting, so every time you turn on your computer you'll have the option to boot into Windows 10 or Linux.

There's also the option of creating a Linux VM (Virtual Machine) and theres a few different programs you can use to do this. There's VirtualBox and VMware, I'd recommend VirtualBox as that's what I'm familiar with. If your computer isn't very good you'll probably have performance issues so the other 2 options could be the better way to go in that case.

Simplest option would be to upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, it may seem expensive but there are ways to get Windows 10 Pro keys for quite cheap but this falls into a sort of gray area. If you want help with any of these options just message me
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999, Oliver_K