Voyager Partial Shutdown
https://www.scientificamerican.com/artic...ower-down/

After nearly 45 years, NASA will start to power down some of the Voyager spacecrafts' instruments (in an effort to keep contact and functionality for as long as possible). It's pretty crazy to think that this mission that was supposed to last 4 years ended up lasting over 10 times that much.

To me, things like this have always been spooky yet interesting. Imagine -- millions of years after humans are gone, the Voyager spacecrafts will still carry the sounds of Earth. If you're unfamiliar with the mission, I'd highly recommend reading a bit about it!

https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/voyager/index.html

What does this mean to you? Are you interested in this kind of thing?

Thanks to @Different, who gave me the inspiration for this thread from their recent thread about the 4th dimension.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Different
Yeah it's insane how much longer the Voyager missions went than 1st thought in terms of runtime, objects of this type are certainly built to last with redundancies in place typically but this is far longer than expected

The sounds of earth thing is interesting too, it'd be funny if some alien heard it and went "what is this random noise" and threw it away lmaooo
á
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Camer the Dragon For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
Will be a sad day when both Voyager's eventually shut down for good, but like you mentioned they'll still be carrying those golden records which is insane to think about

Here's a video that shows all the images on those records, and plays one of the songs included

Watching it gives a sort of uneasy feeling, a comment I read when I first watched it said something along the lines of it's like watching the end credits to humanity
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to David For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999
what if Alen finds the robot ?
Yemlo and Co.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Matt For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon
(18th June 2022, 10:09 PM)David Wrote: Will be a sad day when both Voyager's eventually shut down for good, but like you mentioned they'll still be carrying those golden records which is insane to think about

Here's a video that shows all the images on those records, and plays one of the songs included

-snip-

Watching it gives a sort of uneasy feeling, a comment I read when I first watched it said something along the lines of it's like watching the end credits to humanity

I had never seen these before! Thanks for sharing, that was really cool.

(18th June 2022, 10:33 PM)Matt Wrote: what if Alen finds the robot ?

Hopefully, they'll be able to decipher our language and understand the pictures/sounds within. The Voyager spacecraft aren't actually robots -- they're space probes that have lots of different sensors that help us understand things about space.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Matt
(25th June 2022, 11:59 PM)bls1999 Wrote: I had never seen these before! Thanks for sharing, that was really cool.

Hopefully, they'll be able to decipher our language and understand the pictures/sounds within. The Voyager spacecraft aren't actually robots -- they're space probes that have lots of different sensors that help us understand things about space.
howdid they lnow to make dvd for aliens if no alien existed before? mabye it’s an government conspircey but they forgot and told the public about aliens by mistake ?

Mabey the aliens don’t like tv on Earth. or movies the show aliens fighting humans and they think the video is an insultation not salutation. ? and get angry @