Favorite Levels
The thing is with PR2 levels it's really difficult to craft an identity for a level because it's nigh impossible to make unique gameplay elements with the limited roster of blocks. Levels in All-Time Best are not in there because of how they twist up the formula, it's because the art in the level is really pretty. My first Campaign of the Month winning submission was based on nice art, because that's pretty much the only way to have a level stick in your mind.

One more thing to note is that any level I will discuss here will be viewed as a single player racing through it, because let's face it, I don't have many friends and PR2's not as big as it used to be...

The best art I've seen in PR2 has to belong to The Descent by clairehof. One September night in 2009, my boy clairehof sat down, and with their artistic abilities sat down and rendered this freak monstering beauty of a hand with PR2's limited art tools. God. The patience that must be needed is immense. Me suggesting better art tools for PR2's level editor is a sign of weakness. I sourced levels from other users, like Rammjet, justinbob100, Shadow Z in that campaign because their artistic skills were also impressive. In particular, justinbob100's work is also really impressive. While not PR2, I think this is the most beautiful piece of art produced from the PR series as a whole, coming from Wild West by justinbob100 (in PR3R). Good lord. Someday I'll sit down and make an aesthetically pleasing level, but today ain't that day, especially with my limited artistic ability.

Let's talk gameplay, though. I did say that it is hard to craft an identity from a level's gameplay, though there are a few notable exceptions, mainly puzzle levels. These take PR2's limited roster of blocks and push 'em to the fullest with all of their quirks. One of my favorites of my Sir Sirlington in the Puzzling Campaign was Kwing's Airlock, which dealt with a unique mechanic of upside-down nets to create this cool button-pressing puzzle, ending in another section with pushing Push Blocks in water like it's one of those tile puzzles. You'll have to play it fully to understand what I'm yammering about, but I do appreciate it for having some fun little puzzles matched with a space setting. I also love levels that do investigate some of PR2's engine quirks, particularly ones involving art, such as justinbob100's Portal Temple or any other levels with giant blocks (like funblox's Buto (Giant)), mainly because it's funny to me. Other puzzling levels I love include vasalemma's Phantom Mirror or Karoshi 1/2.

Of course, good gameplay and art can coexist. Overbeing's levels, such as Luna Temple V3 or China give you a balance of both gameplay and art, offering nice visual treats as you race. But sometimes simple races just don't cut it! You want races that truly test your vigor and ability. Right off the top of my head, Treetopia by Tintin 101 is a brutal, but fair, and additionally themed level. I could probably say it's my favorite gameplay wise, because it's hella satisfying to get through without trapping you or requiring unfair amounts of precision.

We can't talk levels without the campaigns, however. By far the most played levels hail from the Original Campaign, and my favorites from that one include razor blade and Candyland. Storm is my favorite level from the Speed Campaign; the previously mentioned Luna Temple V3 for the Luna Campaign, Creataceous Race is the Timeline Campaign's hightlight, and lastly for the Epic Campaign, I have to tip my hat off for The Legend by nerdy by by being a level that is immensely satisfying to complete with its many perils of platforming. I did only beat it with the Cowboy Hat, though...
Oh, and you can't forget about YOSHI'S ISLAND from the same campaign keeping the fire of fun and simple platforming levels.

It's hard to pinpoint a favorite at the end. I've listed several. I think it's best just to name creators, because it seems like an impossible task to make a perfect individual level. What's more powerful to me is the creator's touch with their creations; having a style that draws you into whatever they've made. I've listed several of my favorites here with their levels; do some digging through their catalogs and you're sure to uncover gold.

Golly gee, I sure wish I could FAVORITE my levels so I could scroll through them and pick the cream of the crop. That'd be a silly feature to add though, right? Who would want that? Nobody, right?
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, ClassyElephant, Justinbob100, Overbeing, ~JBG~

Messages In This Thread
Favorite Levels - by bls1999 - 15th April 2020, 1:57 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by LuniFoxo - 15th April 2020, 2:37 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by Northadox - 15th April 2020, 2:47 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by Lego-man945 - 15th April 2020, 2:56 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by Camer the Dragon - 15th April 2020, 3:05 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by TRUC - 15th April 2020, 3:11 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by JEEJAYEM - 15th April 2020, 9:28 AM
RE: Favorite Levels - by Ashley766 - 15th April 2020, 9:36 AM