Poll: iOS or Android?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
iOS
59.38%
19 59.38%
Android
40.63%
13 40.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What phone do you have?
I was aimlessly browsing this website and happened upon this thread and came upon THIS post.

(30th April 2020, 5:58 PM)thique Wrote: What are people's thought process when buying an Android over an iPhone. You don't have FaceTime, iMessage, your texts are green, your camera is an abomination, and you're never included in any group messages cuz it breaks the whole chat

THIS post mad me mad enough to necro this CRUSTY, ANCIENT thread, even though said person has not posted since September of last year.

It's not out of brand allegiance that I make this rebuke, but it's from sheer, unbridled disgust. Gonna discuss this line by line.

Quote:You don't have FaceTime,

This matters because? There's oodles of ways to communicate with people long-distance. You could use a messaging program. You could use some VoIP program. You could use e-mail. You could use SMS. Or, dare I say, you could just fulfill a cell phone's intended use and just...y'know, call someone? I'm sorry I don't use Apple®'s proprietary FaceTime® application, which certainly in some way is harvesting your data (and if not the actual message/video itself, certainly the metadata surronding it. Apple may boast "privacy" as a means to advertise its products, but "privacy" matters little if what privacy is offered doesn't shield you against the proprietor of said privacy.)

Quote:iMessage,

Same sorta deal. Apple's proprietary instant messaging implementation WHY does it matter if you don't have specific program? This sort of blind brand allegiance puts me off. "Oh, you're not COOL because you don't use so-and-so. You're not COOL if you don't use what's been relentlessly advertised and marketed as a 'premeire' service." Speaking of brand allegiance...

Quote:your texts are green

YOUR TEXTS. ARE. A DIFFERENT. COLOR.

WHY are they a different color, may I ask? It's because Apple designed to designate non-iMessages as green so the company's unpaid shilling squads can apply social stigma to drive more users towards their products and software. Gee, Apple users, wouldn't it be swell if you could actually change your text bubble colors, instead? Wouldn't it be great if your phones used auditable software that respects the user's freedom and DOESN'T collect data about them?

Hey, while all smartphones are tracking devices, at least mine can let you change the text bubble color. So much for "premium" products, Apple.

Quote:your camera is an abomination

This one doesn't even make sense because it so idiotically contrasts the entire smartphone market with "Apple vs. everything else," another symptom of the brand allegiance cancer. There are many other phones with extremely high quality cameras that are not Apple made. I literally know nothing about phone cameras, and hey, guess what, many phones listed in something like this article are not even Apple's!

And why does it matter, anyways? I guess picture quality is nice. But you can always, y'know, get an actual camera for shooting photos. A top of the line market camera will be better than Apple's too.

Quote:and you're never included in any group messages cuz it breaks the whole chat

And then this is the funniest part to me. I suppose there's some issue with non-Apple users and group chats. But the problem isn't on Apple for not including non-Apple users in group chats, no, no, it's the problem of Android users that they can't join group chats! Pure hypocrisy. You buy into this so-called "premium" brand for LESS features, LESS control, and LESS privacy.

This isn't to shame iPhone users. I consider them more victims, really. Normies, to be eloquent. It's to shame those who blindly swear allegiance with Apple, who, honest to God, I would say is the worst company ever. Ever! And I've developed a educated hatred for many large businesses at this point. Many people buy Apple products because they want something convienent and "just works". Android phones I would consider just as convienent as an Apple one; in the case of desktops with macOS and everything else, most normies use Windows and get past just fine with it (as much as I loahte Microsoft too).

To put it shortly, Apple not only is a large front of spying and data collection, but their hardware is perhaps the dictionary definition of "planned obsolescense", their belligerent anti-repair lobbying campaign has severely hurt the presence of non-Apple-approved repairs, their excessive use of debilitating DRM (Digital Restrictions Management for the unenlightened) helps no one, their products lock users into a walled garden, and all of this doesn't discuss how the company itself acts outside of its hardware and software.

If you want more detail, I invite you to read this link.

I had an iPhone for a time, too, and a school-provided iPad. I've used an Apple smartphone more often than I've used an Android one. It's only been just a couple of years since I've truly realized why these were abhorrent gifts. I have no brand allegiance with something like Android, it's just that I have a strong, STRONG dislike for Apple.

YES, I AM MAD.

Anyways, I use a Google Pixel 3 with LineageOS. I was thinking of changing it to GrapheneOS instead but it's decent enough. I guess this bump could spur some more discussion.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Lego-man945

Messages In This Thread
What phone do you have? - by Stxtics - 30th April 2020, 5:01 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by Uptight 534 - 30th April 2020, 7:45 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by JEEJAYEM - 30th April 2020, 9:03 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by Addy - 30th April 2020, 9:24 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by edetarod - 30th April 2020, 9:31 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by thique - 30th April 2020, 10:11 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by LCPD - 30th April 2020, 11:44 AM
RE: What phone do you have? - by a7x3 - 30th April 2020, 11:47 AM