Poll: iOS or Android?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
iOS
59.38%
19 59.38%
Android
40.63%
13 40.63%
Total 32 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

What phone do you have?
There's one reason I'd never buy apple.
Planned Obsolescense.

I prefer to buy something and not have it just up and die on me after 4 years whilst slowly degrading over time, I prefer for my stuff to only break when I break it
Arrow
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Appah For This Useful Post:
  • AspectZero, Fresh Cookies, JEEJAYEM, Northadox
(30th April 2020, 7:55 PM)Appah Wrote: There's one reason I'd never buy apple.
Planned Obsolescense.

I prefer to buy something and not have it just up and die on me after 4 years whilst slowly degrading over time, I prefer for my stuff to only break when I break it

that’s being done by everybody in all sectors of electronics because $$$.
[Image: GUEST_d27f3cc4-4884-4e3b-8c1c-a7d95aa028...&fmt=pjpeg]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LCPD For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Uptight 534
Samsung Galaxy Note 9. Before that, rode an S6 Active into the ground.
(30th April 2020, 7:55 PM)Appah Wrote: There's one reason I'd never buy apple.
Planned Obsolescense.

Yeah, that is an industry-wide issue. Tech changes quickly and no company wants to support a phone that is fifteen years old and has to almost retrofit a new software update that is tailored to their latest series. There is no way they will make money doing this (maybe even lose money). 

@JEEJAYEM in my experience, official Apple chargers have been significantly more reliable than third-party (anecdotal and the third-party were cheaper). I will say that it is annoying they have to have their own proprietary charger than a micro-USB or USB-C. I am not well versed on their reasons, though. 

Really, my biggest complaint of current series phones are the form functionality in terms of size. I think the iPhone 4-5s (competitor equivalents) sizes were the best size and everything since is taking too much space in pockets.
[Image: 6a00d8341c145e53ef011570b037d5970c-pi]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uptight 534 For This Useful Post:
  • bls1999, Fresh Cookies
I have the iPhone XS Smile
One Plus 7 Pro
[Image: sigimage.php?u=818553&bg=1&c1=FFFFFF&c2=...&c4=0000CC]
iPhone XR, will most likely never try an Android lmao
Redmi Note 8 Pro, been a solid phone so far (pretty insane value for what it cost, atleast at the time) and plan to install a custom rom sometime soonish. Before that I also had (still have) a S6 Active that I flashed Android 7 on to at some point, used it for a little over 2 years (bought it used in 2017) but battery life got horrible like with all phones and it was due for an upgrade anyway (wanted better performance and modern features). Could have replaced the battery and kept on trucking but like with most phones these days it wasn't user replaceable so not worth the effort on a 4 year old phone and like I said would have upgraded anyway

Don't think I'll ever go with an iPhone, I prefer the customization and openness of Android
iPhone 5S because I'm quite poor and all I really need is Spotify and Knife Hit.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to gemj For This Useful Post:
  • Uptight 534
using a lenovo k8 plus, budget phone that's actually very good, battery kinda sucks

planning on selling one of my kidneys to get an iphone tho
(12th June 2020, 11:49 PM)OldMarx Wrote: using a lenovo k8 plus, budget phone that's actually very good, battery kinda sucks

planning on selling one of my kidneys to get an iphone tho

You can sell a testicle for like triple the price in case youre not looking to settle for less
Samsung Galaxy Note 9 and an iPhone 7
I got a phone called Samsung Galaxy A10
á
I was aimlessly browsing this website and happened upon this thread and came upon THIS post.

(30th April 2020, 5:58 PM)thique Wrote: What are people's thought process when buying an Android over an iPhone. You don't have FaceTime, iMessage, your texts are green, your camera is an abomination, and you're never included in any group messages cuz it breaks the whole chat

THIS post mad me mad enough to necro this CRUSTY, ANCIENT thread, even though said person has not posted since September of last year.

It's not out of brand allegiance that I make this rebuke, but it's from sheer, unbridled disgust. Gonna discuss this line by line.

Quote:You don't have FaceTime,

This matters because? There's oodles of ways to communicate with people long-distance. You could use a messaging program. You could use some VoIP program. You could use e-mail. You could use SMS. Or, dare I say, you could just fulfill a cell phone's intended use and just...y'know, call someone? I'm sorry I don't use Apple®'s proprietary FaceTime® application, which certainly in some way is harvesting your data (and if not the actual message/video itself, certainly the metadata surronding it. Apple may boast "privacy" as a means to advertise its products, but "privacy" matters little if what privacy is offered doesn't shield you against the proprietor of said privacy.)

Quote:iMessage,

Same sorta deal. Apple's proprietary instant messaging implementation WHY does it matter if you don't have specific program? This sort of blind brand allegiance puts me off. "Oh, you're not COOL because you don't use so-and-so. You're not COOL if you don't use what's been relentlessly advertised and marketed as a 'premeire' service." Speaking of brand allegiance...

Quote:your texts are green

YOUR TEXTS. ARE. A DIFFERENT. COLOR.

WHY are they a different color, may I ask? It's because Apple designed to designate non-iMessages as green so the company's unpaid shilling squads can apply social stigma to drive more users towards their products and software. Gee, Apple users, wouldn't it be swell if you could actually change your text bubble colors, instead? Wouldn't it be great if your phones used auditable software that respects the user's freedom and DOESN'T collect data about them?

Hey, while all smartphones are tracking devices, at least mine can let you change the text bubble color. So much for "premium" products, Apple.

Quote:your camera is an abomination

This one doesn't even make sense because it so idiotically contrasts the entire smartphone market with "Apple vs. everything else," another symptom of the brand allegiance cancer. There are many other phones with extremely high quality cameras that are not Apple made. I literally know nothing about phone cameras, and hey, guess what, many phones listed in something like this article are not even Apple's!

And why does it matter, anyways? I guess picture quality is nice. But you can always, y'know, get an actual camera for shooting photos. A top of the line market camera will be better than Apple's too.

Quote:and you're never included in any group messages cuz it breaks the whole chat

And then this is the funniest part to me. I suppose there's some issue with non-Apple users and group chats. But the problem isn't on Apple for not including non-Apple users in group chats, no, no, it's the problem of Android users that they can't join group chats! Pure hypocrisy. You buy into this so-called "premium" brand for LESS features, LESS control, and LESS privacy.

This isn't to shame iPhone users. I consider them more victims, really. Normies, to be eloquent. It's to shame those who blindly swear allegiance with Apple, who, honest to God, I would say is the worst company ever. Ever! And I've developed a educated hatred for many large businesses at this point. Many people buy Apple products because they want something convienent and "just works". Android phones I would consider just as convienent as an Apple one; in the case of desktops with macOS and everything else, most normies use Windows and get past just fine with it (as much as I loahte Microsoft too).

To put it shortly, Apple not only is a large front of spying and data collection, but their hardware is perhaps the dictionary definition of "planned obsolescense", their belligerent anti-repair lobbying campaign has severely hurt the presence of non-Apple-approved repairs, their excessive use of debilitating DRM (Digital Restrictions Management for the unenlightened) helps no one, their products lock users into a walled garden, and all of this doesn't discuss how the company itself acts outside of its hardware and software.

If you want more detail, I invite you to read this link.

I had an iPhone for a time, too, and a school-provided iPad. I've used an Apple smartphone more often than I've used an Android one. It's only been just a couple of years since I've truly realized why these were abhorrent gifts. I have no brand allegiance with something like Android, it's just that I have a strong, STRONG dislike for Apple.

YES, I AM MAD.

Anyways, I use a Google Pixel 3 with LineageOS. I was thinking of changing it to GrapheneOS instead but it's decent enough. I guess this bump could spur some more discussion.
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Lego-man945
iPhone 7+. Had it 4 years now and it's working fine - performance-wise and phsyical condtion. No need to upgrade yet!
Indubitably
Well, you wanted a discussion, so let me dissect the some aspects that I disagree with. I agree with almost everything, especially the privacy-related concerns you have, but you really don't explain it well. You also don't consider the average user.

(2nd January 2022, 5:04 PM)Northadox Wrote:
(30th April 2020, 5:58 PM)thique Wrote: iMessage,

Same sorta deal. Apple's proprietary instant messaging implementation WHY does it matter if you don't have specific program? This sort of blind brand allegiance puts me off. "Oh, you're not COOL because you don't use so-and-so. You're not COOL if you don't use what's been relentlessly advertised and marketed as a 'premeire' service." Speaking of brand allegiance...

This is part of the same vein as "you need to use this new software, it's so much more secure and barely has any bugs". But iMessage's bugs are probably not as horrid as the alternative FOSS. This is just a general disgust against what you seem to have against proprietary software (especially referencing Stallman...). Not all proprietary software is bad. In this case, the alternative, Signal, is just a much better implementation of iMessage, so I don't disagree with you here, but your argument for this sucks.

(2nd January 2022, 5:04 PM)Northadox Wrote: And why does it matter, anyways? I guess picture quality is nice. But you can always, y'know, get an actual camera for shooting photos. A top of the line market camera will be better than Apple's too.

What a horribly bad argument. This is the reason why I wanted to reply here. You're arguing for a worse product? What is the point in that? Can I not want a good service on my phone? I can complain that my laptop WiFi router is garbage and not want to set up a desktop. It's convenient to have a phone with a good camera. That being said, I haven't noticed any differences in my camera quality even using GrapheneOS as compared to my mother's iPhone.

(2nd January 2022, 5:04 PM)Northadox Wrote: If you want more detail, I invite you to read this link.

Richard Stallman has extremely absurd standards for most of his points. I don't really want to nitpick every single one of these points, but people will scroll through that link, be suddenly shocked, and then realize most of his arguments are pretty crazy, then go back to using the original service. It's like DigDeeper's manifesto against Firefox, when almost all of his arguments are small and petty tidbits he added in there. They completely detract from the large argument.

Yes, Apple phones are not good for security and one who is savvy enough should definitely get an Android phone and immediately go to LineageOS, /e/, or GrapheneOS, but this is difficult for the normal user to follow. You need to download ADB on your computer, then flash the ROM just to use your phone. And using these alternative OSs break some fundamental aspects that people enjoy with smartphones like Snapchat and most smartphone games. The alternative of a Google phone using Google services is not good and much worse, so I think Apple products would actually be better for the average user.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
(9th January 2022, 4:33 PM)Kribbles Wrote: This is part of the same vein as "you need to use this new software, it's so much more secure and barely has any bugs". But iMessage's bugs are probably not as horrid as the alternative FOSS. This is just a general disgust against what you seem to have against proprietary software (especially referencing Stallman...). Not all proprietary software is bad. In this case, the alternative, Signal, is just a much better implementation of iMessage, so I don't disagree with you here, but your argument for this sucks.

Nope! Proprietary software is ALWAYS bad, never going to say it's not. With any individual bit of proprietary software, the user is going to be subjugated by it in some manner. ignore the potentiual hypocrisy of me using the forum revival honoring a proprietary software developer. this may be a form of coping.

No matter whatconvienence it may provide, for it to be proprietary software, it needs some form of user subjugation; source code obfuscation is the typical culprit, but of course there exists many other malicious features.

You mention Signal as a good communication platform and I do agree! I'd also recommend any other instant messaging protocol with encryption available, like XMPP or Matrix. Digital messaging is a solved problem and it's a shame to see people fall for the worst solutions.

Quote:What a horribly bad argument. This is the reason why I wanted to reply here. You're arguing for a worse product? What is the point in that? Can I not want a good service on my phone? I can complain that my laptop WiFi router is garbage and not want to set up a desktop. It's convenient to have a phone with a good camera. That being said, I haven't noticed any differences in my camera quality even using GrapheneOS as compared to my mother's iPhone.

My point of contention was to rebuke the statement that Apple's smartphone cameras were "better" than the competition, which really isn't true; they're pretty standard for most high-end smartphones, as far as I can tell, as you've said.

YES you can desire a good camera in your smartphone. NO, I'm not saying that smartphone cameras are bad ideas and people should just get regular cameras in lieu of that. Like you've stated, my arguments were poorly phrased and frankly I don't know exactly where I was going,

Quote:Richard Stallman has extremely absurd standards for most of his points. I don't really want to nitpick every single one of these points, but people will scroll through that link, be suddenly shocked, and then realize most of his arguments are pretty crazy, then go back to using the original service. It's like DigDeeper's manifesto against Firefox, when almost all of his arguments are small and petty tidbits he added in there. They completely detract from the large argument.

As much of a kook he is, Stallman, concerning his opinions on software freedom has been vindicated like 99% of the time; where proprietary software exists, there will be computing injustice. I like to link his articles to people because I admire his ironclad tenacity concerning the issues he's passionate about (well, I only mostly see eye-to-eye with him on issues concerning software freedom, copyright law, patent law, and a few other things, but that's for another discussion) and I feel that people need to at least know of these sorts of "extreme" viewpoints. 

Maybe not the best source to cite for my off-the-cuff argument, but I think it's good to put it out there.

Quote:Yes, Apple phones are not good for security and one who is savvy enough should definitely get an Android phone and immediately go to LineageOS, /e/, or GrapheneOS, but this is difficult for the normal user to follow. You need to download ADB on your computer, then flash the ROM just to use your phone. And using these alternative OSs break some fundamental aspects that people enjoy with smartphones like Snapchat and most smartphone games. The alternative of a Google phone using Google services is not good and much worse, so I think Apple products would actually be better for the average user.

I don't care about the average user. I am going to CONTINUALLY put down normal people for their technological apathy and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.

I was an "average user" at one point and realized that most social media preys on the faults of human psychology and that phone games tend to exploit the user far more than your average, say, console or PC game. I don't care if they "enjoy" it, those things tend to be pretty cringe, sorry!

I could go on another diatribe on why smartphones are terrible in general, but to cut it short I'm not going to recommend the so-called "average user" something that's going to subjugate them just because it's apparently more "convienent" (or rather with a broad walled garden to rope them into).

Quote:I agree with almost everything, especially the privacy-related concerns you have, but you really don't explain it well.

I'm not very apt at pontificating yet I like to do it anyway.  Cool

Glad we agree on these things! I just was pretty peeved by that abhorrent post. Have a good day!
[Image: aGf8Xvh.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Kribbles
Thumbs Up 
(9th January 2022, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Nope! Proprietary software is ALWAYS bad, never going to say it's not. With any individual bit of proprietary software, the user is going to be subjugated by it in some manner. ignore the potentiual hypocrisy of me using the forum revival honoring a proprietary software developer. this may be a form of coping.

No matter whatconvienence it may provide, for it to be proprietary software, it needs some form of user subjugation; source code obfuscation is the typical culprit, but of course there exists many other malicious features.

I could continue the argument, but I honestly feel this is fine. I do personally agree and try to use as much FOSS as I can, but it's just so easy to use the proprietary software.

(9th January 2022, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Digital messaging is a solved problem and it's a shame to see people fall for the worst solutions.

I could go on another diatribe on why smartphones are terrible in general, but to cut it short I'm not going to recommend the so-called "average user" something that's going to subjugate them just because it's apparently more "convienent" (or rather with a broad walled garden to rope them into).

I fully agree with the fact that messaging is solved, and Signal is such a simple manner to communicate (except you can't adjust audio for people like you can in Discord, which sucks). For the second part, the only benefit I have with smartphones I can use Signal. If there were a flip phone out there that only connected to Signal, I would absolutely buy that. I also agree that smartphones are not good. They ruin so many things. I would continue too, but I think we've derailed this thread enough as it is. Maybe we can make a different thread and talk about these aspects later, or just DM one another.

(9th January 2022, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: As much of a kook he is, Stallman, concerning his opinions on software freedom has been vindicated like 99% of the time; where proprietary software exists, there will be computing injustice. I like to link his articles to people because I admire his ironclad tenacity concerning the issues he's passionate about (well, I only mostly see eye-to-eye with him on issues concerning software freedom, copyright law, patent law, and a few other things, but that's for another discussion) and I feel that people need to at least know of these sorts of "extreme" viewpoints. 

Maybe not the best source to cite for my off-the-cuff argument, but I think it's good to put it out there.

I just wanted to make sure you're careful with Stallman, people will immediately balk at your arguments because you back Stallman (which I do too, I'm sad he's so shafted when he should be on par with Torvalds) and call you a nut. I've had this before and it has happened plenty of times. It's very frustrating. It's easier to just directly show the bad things on Apple. It's also more impressive when you shove people 50+ links to news articles about FAANG destroying people. Smile

(9th January 2022, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: I don't care about the average user. I am going to CONTINUALLY put down normal people for their technological apathy and there is NOTHING you can do to stop me.

I was an "average user" at one point and realized that most social media preys on the faults of human psychology and that phone games tend to exploit the user far more than your average, say, console or PC game. I don't care if they "enjoy" it, those things tend to be pretty cringe, sorry!

Social media does do this. I agree. This is my first reintroduction to the Internet in a few years. I was in my neat, small imageboard (I see your profile notes the same Smile) and decided to check out PR2 again.

(9th January 2022, 7:22 PM)Northadox Wrote: Glad we agree on these things! I just was pretty peeved by that abhorrent post. Have a good day!

Cool Happy it's settled nicely too. Glad to see someone like you here not afraid to speak your mind.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Kribbles For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
None, cause I smashed my last one lol
Zack means everything to me 💛
[Image: Zp4SiOJ.png]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Mia For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
This went from saying what phone you have to world war 3
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to a7x3 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox