Some Hat Philosophy and Ideas
After Bls managed to figure out how to add new content to PR2 after all these years, I figured I’d throw my hat in the ring - pun intended. So here’s what I’ve got to say about them, particularly in PR2.

So, what makes a good hat in PR2? In my eyes, there are some guidelines to follow, based off how they were implemented in both PR2 and PR3. If one is to follow these guidelines well, they’d probably introduce a well-designed and likable hat in a Platform Racing game. I’m not sure how Jiggmin went about balancing and implementing them, but if I was him, here’s what I’d say to myself when designing a hat:
  • Make sure to give them tangible, useful effects that don’t change the game completely. Effects shouldn’t be incredibly niche, but not all-encompassing. Levels shouldn’t be broken completely if one is to wear a particular hat.
  • Hats should not be redundant to each other; hats should give different benefits instead of being upgrades/downgrades to others.
  • Hat designs should reflect the ability they provide. For example, the Propeller Hat - it spins to keep the player in the air for longer.
  • Other players can steal your precious hats, so this must be taken into account when designing them, so their benefit is universal.
  • Hat effects shouldn’t be needlessly complex - if you can describe their effect in one sentence, you shoudl be good.
You probably thought of some exceptions to these rules immediately - and well, those hats probably need some changes for a balanced race. The Cowboy Hat sure is fun, but it provides a massive benefit. I prefer hats that have their unique quirks without being totally broken. So following these self-imposed rules, I designed some hats that hopefully are interesting and beneficial additions. Tell me what you think.

[Image: YAITGSN.jpg]
  • Halo Hat - Rechargable mid-air super jump.
  • Upon pressing and holding the Up arrow key in mid-air for a second, an angellic light will surrond the player as they leap into the air.
  • The jump effect is around 75% of a regular fully-charged super jump.
  • This effect isn’t always able to be used - it can only be utilized every 30 seconds, in which it needs to recharge.
  • The charge timer is independent of players, so if someone swipes the uncharged hat off the ground, they’ll have to wait until it’s charged to get a jump.
  • The Halo Hat’s charge is shown in its color - when it bares color, it’s ready to go, but when it is devoid, it cannot.
This hat is a rather complex one, but it’s an interesting addition. The Halo Hat resembles that of an angels, and what are angels known for? Being saviors! If you screw up a jump, you can attempt to save yourself. But, it also functions more so as a double jump, so you can get to higher places easier without spending all that time charging a super jump on the ground. Finally, an answer to all those people who demand a double jump.

[Image: O4jtlUe.jpg]
  • Soldier Hat - One additional ammo for weapons.
  • Swords, Laser Guns, and Freeze Rays now have 4 ammo upon getting them from Item Blocks instead of 3.
  • If the hat is dropped and a player wielding a weapon picks it up, the weapon they have will not earn any additional ammo. Any future weapons collected will, however.
A simple hat. If you’re a warrior and you’re tired of your weapon running out of uses, pick up this hat and you’ll have one more ammo to defeat your foes with.

[Image: IOxF7rQ.jpg]
  • Bandana Hat - Stat boosts for perfectionists.
  • +5 to Speed, Jump, and Acceleration while worn.
  • Upon getting hit and losing the hat, the Bandana Hat cannot be collected again by the one who dropped it. However, other players can collect the hat and reap the benefits.
While I’m not too sure about the numbers, this hat is made for those who think they’re too good for Platform Racing. As long as you remain undamaged, you will have additional stats. However, if you suck at the game and get hit a ton, this hat will do nothing for you. If you’re able to also get a Crown while wearing this, more power to you!

[Image: 69OAOMG.jpg]
  • Drill Hat - Crumble and Brick Blocks will not stop you!
  • Breaking Crumble Blocks and Brick Blocks is now an instant act.
  • Hitting either of these blocks and destroying them will not stop your momentum.
There’s been similar ideas to this before, but I think a Drill Hat that destroys both Crumble and Brick Blocks is a sound idea. They’re barely obstacles as is, so if there was a hat for only one type of block, it’d be rather niche in use. This is sort of like the Top Hat for these blocks. I was mulling over whether this hat could break Brick Blocks from any angle, but this would absolutely destroy levels which use Brick Blocks as a sort of “unsafe block” in which you cannot respawn upon them.

Now, for some familiar additions:
  • Miner Hat - Faster crawling, and more acceleration.
  • Speeds up crawling and grants five additional Acceleration.
It’s the Miner Hat from PR3! I think the hat is very balanced and deserves a place in PR2, too. Crawling would now be as quick as normal movement.
  • Aviator Cap - Faster super jump, and more power to jumps.
  • Super jump charge time is shortened, and grants five additional Jump.
Same thing for the Aviator Cap, also from PR3. It has its own use, so it wouldn’t be so redundant with the Halo Hat I discussed earlier. Your jumps would have more oomph and speed to them, but you’d still have the same control over them as usual - which is what the Halo Hat changes up.
  • Winged Helmet - Longer Speed Bursts, and more speed!
  • Speed Burst lasts longer than usual, and grants five additional Speed.
Yeah, you know the deal. I think this trifecta of hats is pretty good, although in no item races this one might be a little less useful - though more Speed is always appreciated, as it’s probably the most important stat.
  • Shark Fin Hat - Scares lifeguards...oh, and you swim faster.
  • You swim faster in water - kind of like you’re flying through it with the Cowboy Hat.
Kind of like the Miner Hat, but for water instead of enclosed spaces. Water’s a bit more common than tight spaces in levels I think, so it probably wouldn’t need any additional stat boosts.

So, that’s all I’ve got about hats. I think a lot of people would appreciate these additions, though that’s only what I think. I do also wish for some changes to stuff like the Kong Hat and the Moon Hat - both hats that are either useless or have a direct upgrade to them. I might also try making Flashified versions of the drawings of my hats, so they feel more genuine. I hope Bls can hopefully add some more stuff, and I hope these additional hats are considered. Tell me what you think.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Ashley766, bls1999, Camer the Dragon, Different, gemj, IHaveDaCowboyz, Lego-man945, MoonFiredk, Nemo Nation, thique, Zelante
Amazing ideas (would be interesting to see Halo hats in puzzle maps), however PR2 client code has been lost so new content such as hats, parts or items cannot be added :c

You could, however, suggest these for PR4/PRF Big Grin

Wowzers, just saw the thread made by @bls1999

This is exciting

(Thanks you guys below my post)
- -  Fred - -
Sim-racer
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Zelante For This Useful Post:
  • xGuest
(26th November 2018, 6:13 AM)Zelante Wrote: Amazing ideas (would be interesting to see Halo hats in puzzle maps), however PR2 client code has been lost so new content such as hats, parts or items cannot be added :c

Yeah but this has gotta mean something
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Northadox For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante
(26th November 2018, 6:13 AM)Zelante Wrote: Amazing ideas (would be interesting to see Halo hats in puzzle maps), however PR2 client code has been lost so new content such as hats, parts or items cannot be added :c

you totally read the whole thread xD
[Image: boomboomforalltid.gif?width=400&height=119]
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to xGuest For This Useful Post:
  • Zelante

Lol you obviously missed the HUGE ANNOUNCEMENT
- Bluelightning

[Image: Signiture.png]
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bluelightning For This Useful Post:
  • gemj, xGuest, Zelante
What's that?

bls can add new content to the game?

PLATFORM RACING 2 IS POSSIBLY NOT DEAD AFTER ALL!?
[Image: unknown.png]

It finally happened.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to Drflash55 For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
(26th November 2018, 1:45 PM)Drflash55 Wrote: What's that?

bls can add new content to the game?

PLATFORM RACING 2 IS POSSIBLY NOT DEAD AFTER ALL!?

yes
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to xGuest For This Useful Post:
  • gemj
The shark fin hat was bae in PR3. It would be so dope to see it put into PR2.

Awesome ideas for the other hats too I support
[Image: VnNsnRk.gif]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thique For This Useful Post:
  • xGuest, Zelante
(28th November 2018, 3:39 AM)Dev52 Wrote: The shark fin hat was bae in PR3. It would be so dope to see it put into PR2.

Awesome ideas for the other hats too I support

along with nurse hat!
I really like this thread as a guide for hat suggestions, so I'm gonna go ahead and stick it.

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 1 User Says Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Northadox
Here's a random surprise, just in time for Christmas New Year's - a digital version of my Halo suggestion.
[Image: A0SWGJf.png]
Will any new hats/parts be obtainable in pr2?
Folding @ Home
[Image: sigimage.php?un=MoonFiredk&t=143016]
(31st December 2018, 4:15 PM)MoonFiredk Wrote: Will any new hats/parts be obtainable in pr2?

Depends if anything happens with Bls updating the client. Still waiting on something to happen.
I'm interested-- does anyone have any other hat ideas after all this time? Cheese hat? Police hat? This is a chance for all the memes to come true, people!

I post about the latest site updates on the Dev Log. If you have suggestions, feel free to post them here.
@Eternal and I pay for this site out of our own savings. Please consider donating to help keep Jiggmin's Village running.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bls1999 For This Useful Post:
  • Different, Northadox
(30th March 2020, 2:46 AM)bls1999 Wrote: I'm interested-- does anyone have any other hat ideas after all this time? Cheese hat? Police hat? This is a chance for all the memes to come true, people!

Sure Ill post some older ideas
[Image: latest?cb=20160208221806]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to John m. For This Useful Post:
  • $hake Junt, Northadox
Yea the 3 small stat boost hats from PR3 (Miner, Aviator, Speed) sound good tbh

I will maybe think of a hat idea that's not a meme (100/100/100 stat cola hat lmao)
á
(30th March 2020, 2:46 AM)bls1999 Wrote: I'm interested-- does anyone have any other hat ideas after all this time? Cheese hat? Police hat? This is a chance for all the memes to come true, people!
Add juggernaut hat for big epic meme, just makes you run faster and faster except you can never slow down or stop
Arrow
[Image: agrFynG.png]
[Image: 7yFzNKY.png]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ~JBG~ For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, John m.
@bls1999 I think a few versions ahead you should add these hats Wink
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IHaveDaCowboyz For This Useful Post:
  • Camer the Dragon, Nemo Nation, Northadox
Skeletal Hat

jumping from standing still now has max acceleration.
animation is hat eyesockets burning with a flame and they are extinguished after jump. should have one setback which is you should be required to fully accelerate up to fuel the hat with flame.
[Image: 213.jpg]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Acno For This Useful Post:
  • $hake Junt, IHaveDaCowboyz